I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae
(08-18-2013, 05:36 PM)2Vermont Wrote: You know, I'm not sure these are the only possibilities.  I haven't considered it long enough.  But I will say that I find it hard to believe that after seeing 50 years of the fruits of this mass that anyone can believe that it is of God. 

So millions of Catholics have been unknowingly worshiping mere bread and wine every time they have gone to Mass or Eucharistic Adoration for the past 50 years?  There is no reason to get upset about EMHC's or treating the Eucharist with disrespect because hey, it isn't Jesus anyway right?   Those pictures of the Eucharist being passed around in a plastic cup at WYD are ultimately meaningless since it wasn't a valid Mass in the first place.   

I am not one of those "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" people who accept mediocrity as good enough.  I think we should be working towards perfection, in the Mass, in our spiritual lives, etc.  However, the simple reality is that something does not have be invalid to give less than perfect fruits.  Is it as good as it could be and should be? No, I do not think so, and I believe that to be manifestly obvious to anyone who pays attention.  But that does not invalidate it either.  Imperfect contrition is not as good as perfect contrition and does not bear the same fruits.  However, imperfect contrition still allows us to go to confession and receive absolution and without it we cannot.  An imperfect Mass is not as edifying or fruitful as a perfect Mass, but it is still Mass and still allows us to receive the Eucharist. 

Also, understand that I am not talking about a Mass where the rubrics are not followed, or there is no intent of the part of the priest to consecrate the host.  In situations where there is disobedience or lack of intent on the part of the priest, I do believe that it is possible, strongly so, for the Mass to be invalid.  However, that is not what I am referring to.  I am referring to a Mass which is celebrated correctly, even not as perfectly in terms of Sacred Music, etc. as it could be, but with no actual liturgical abuses and proper intent. 

If you believe otherwise, then you need to get to a spiritual director that you trust, ASAP. 

Messages In This Thread
Re: I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae - by Sant Anselmo - 08-19-2013, 11:54 AM