I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae
(08-19-2013, 04:44 PM)2Vermont Wrote: Not true if you consider it valid, but illicit.  I know that is not what I originally suggested, but I think I see the NO more like I see the Orthodox Church's liturgy. The OC liturgy may be valid, but it is illegitimate.  I think this would better express my latest feelings about it.

I don't get how the "illicit" conclusion follows. The supreme legislator has declared it licit:

Pius XII, Mediator Dei Wrote:58. It follows from this that the Sovereign Pontiff alone enjoys the right to recognize and establish any practice touching the worship of God, to introduce and approve new rites, as also to modify those he judges to require modification.

2Vermont Wrote:Also, no one has answered my question up-thread:

WHY were any of these sacraments tampered with in the first place?  Was there something deficient in the Old Rites? Has the Church ever had a real answer for the necessity of the New (and improved...cough cough) Mass/sacraments? 

Hindsight is 20/20, but one thing is for certain, almost every bishop in the world thought something needed to be done at the time.  The Constitution on the Liturgy had only four dissenting votes, (and not from Lefebrve or de Castro Mayer).  Archbishop Lefebrve in his Open Letter said why he though reform was needed:

Archbishop Lefebrve Wrote:To begin with, I can say that in 1962 I was not opposed to the holding of a General Council. On the contrary, I welcomed it with great hopes. As present proof here is a letter I sent out in 1963 to the Holy Ghost Fathers and which has been published in one of my previous books.I wrote:“We  may say without hesitation, that certain liturgical reforms have been needed, and it is to be hoped that the Council will continue in this direction.” I recognized that a renewal was indispensable to bring an end to a certain sclerosis due to a gap which had developed between prayer, confined to places of worship, and the world of action-schools, the professions and public life.

Active participation was seen as the answer to this, thus the heavy emphasis on things thought to encourage active participation (simpler rites, vernacular, ad populum, audible canon, more Scripture lessons, etc.).  The main debate was on the degree of change necessary to do this. 

Messages In This Thread
Re: I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae - by SaintSebastian - 08-19-2013, 05:03 PM