I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae
(08-19-2013, 05:12 PM)2Vermont Wrote:
(08-19-2013, 05:03 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: I don't get how the "illicit" conclusion follows. The supreme legislator has declared it licit:

Pius XII, Mediator Dei Wrote:58. It follows from this that the Sovereign Pontiff alone enjoys the right to recognize and establish any practice touching the worship of God, to introduce and approve new rites, as also to modify those he judges to require modification.

And the Council of Trent:

"If anyone says that the received and approved rites customarily used in the Catholic Church for the solemn administration of the Sacraments can be changed into other new rites by any pastor in the Church whosoever, let him be anathema."

This doesn't contradict the principle expressed by Pius XII.  Not any pastor whatsoever has the authority to change the rites, but the Pope does.  The Council of Trent says the same thing about this power in the Church in general (the Pope exercises the full power in the Church):

Council of Trent, Session 21, Chapter 2 Wrote:It declares furthermore, that in the dispensation of the sacraments, their substance being untouched, the Church may, according to circumstances, times and places, determine or change whatever she may judge most expedient for the benefit of those receiving them or for the veneration of the sacraments; and this power has always been hers. The Apostle seems to have clearly intimated this when he said: Let a man so account of us as of the ministers of Christ, and the dispensers of the mysteries of God;[10] and that he himself exercised this power, as in many other things so in this sacrament, is sufficiently manifest, for after having given some instructions regarding its use, he says: <The rest I will set in order when I come.>[11]

This is why your other quote of St. Pius V's Quo Primum doesn't really apply to whether the NO could be issued or whether restrictions could be placed on the TLM.  If he were actually intending to create some sort of immutable law, he would be violating the principle that these things are not immutable and that the Church always retain the power to make changes--St. Pius V could not destroy this power in the Church, nor did he intend to do so.  His decree is directed to his subordinates, not his equals. This is why in the quote above Pius XII does not say "except those codified by St. Pius V."  St. Pius X made radical changes to the breviary and imposed it outright in the Latin Church without exception, even though the same language in Quo Primum was used by St. Pius V to make changes to the breviary. That being said, whether the law in Quo Primum has been formally "muted" is another question altogether.

Messages In This Thread
Re: I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae - by SaintSebastian - 08-19-2013, 08:19 PM