2 Priests Robbed on Church Grounds; Defiant Priest says "Shoot me"
Another low for America. 2 black males robbed a couple priests walking grounds of a Catholic Church in FL. One of the priests defiantly said "shoot me."

Nobody hurt, they ran away. Security video of the incident and more details here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/defiant-p...-me-2013-8
Aren't command and counsel two of the ways we participate in the sins of others?
Thanks be to God that no one got hurt.  >:(
(08-17-2013, 10:11 PM)dark lancer Wrote: Aren't command and counsel two of the ways we participate in the sins of others?

do you think the priest really wanted him to shoot?
(08-17-2013, 10:20 PM)information Wrote:
(08-17-2013, 10:11 PM)dark lancer Wrote: Aren't command and counsel two of the ways we participate in the sins of others?

No. I take it the priest was calling a bluff or acting "human." How else do you handle a robbery while your giving a tour of your Church to another priest?

Anyway this was in FL just a couple days after the racially charged Treyvon trial verdict. Guess they opened it to the public to find the people. Here's the original story, the comment section is quite large and not very "politically correct" you could say.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/08/16/eye...y-thieves/

(08-17-2013, 10:20 PM)information Wrote:

If he didn't he wouldn't have told him to.

I think that these fall under the same category as "silence": The person comanding or counseling has to be in a position of authority, or there has to be a reasonable chance that the person being commanded will listen. I highly doubt that the robber would have shot the priest just because the priest told him to.  :Hmm:
This is why if I were the Bishop all my priests would be trained in Shaolin self defense. They'd all be tan jian fighters.

tim
This is in a different diocese than mine (St Petersburg), but the reality of crime here in the Sunshine State is tough on everyone.  I feel Father felt exasperated! In 2011, he spent over $20,000 on a series of cameras all around the parish (good idea). It's classic Florida to have robbers going around in a slick vehicle (99.9% chance this involved a need for street drugs). >:(
I'd rather our priests train in real world defense tactics such as Krav Maga (developed in the streets during world war II and is the official fighting sysystem of the Israeli army), Kali/Escrima (filipino hand to hand/weaponsbcombat) or RAT (navy seals...rapid assault tactics)