MOVIE: "Jewtholic" : Catholic Woman finds out She had a Jewish Mother
:crazy:

Plot: After her mother's passing, her father reveals that her mom is not her biological mother. She was an illegitimate child of her father with another woman, a Jew who couldn't take care of a baby. So her "step mom" raises her as her own and as a Catholic. But now she connects with her "real family" discovering her "true identity." Of course they're all witty, quirky and welcoming to their her.

Supposedly this is a comedy about religion, AKA bash everything Catholic.

Here's the film:

oh no!!  not members of other religions being witty quirky and welcoming! 

it overall sounds like a dumb movie but as a Catholic convert who was raised in a Jewish home, the welcome only goes one way.  If you say, bring a Catholic girl home to date, the welcome goes out the window.  From their perspective, you are welcome to be Jewish.  If that's not what you're after, then all that tolerance BS goes out the window.
(08-17-2013, 10:54 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: oh no!!  not members of other religions being witty quirky and welcoming! 

it overall sounds like a dumb movie but as a Catholic convert who was raised in a Jewish home, the welcome only goes one way.  If you say, bring a Catholic girl home to date, the welcome goes out the window.  From their perspective, you are welcome to be Jewish.  If that's not what you're after, then all that tolerance BS goes out the window.

Another attempt to not only bash Catholicism but attempt to show religion as a cultural identity rather than about faith and truth.

Do we have an index for movies?
(08-17-2013, 10:54 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: oh no!!  not members of other religions being witty quirky and welcoming! 

From my experience some Christian (churchy, born again type, not Catholic families) can be quite weird in these situations. If you say you're not religious they try to convert you, if you're Catholic they snub you. If you're a Jew, they fall over backwards trying to relate with you - oddly they won't try to convert you. Muslim? "I'm sorry we had other plans. Gotta go, okay, bye."

The movie is passed on as a comedy but Catholic things are mocked, like she seeing and talking to saints as ghosts. In other words, it goes one way.
(08-17-2013, 11:09 PM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote:

Another attempt to not only bash Catholicism but attempt to show religion as a cultural identity rather than about faith and truth.

Do we have an index for movies?

for a lot of Catholics it is just a "cultural identity" same with Jews, muslims, etc.  It is how most of the 1 billion Catholics relate to their Catholicism, which is an unfortunate truth.  Maybe the Catholic protagonist never really had much Catholic faith to begin with (which is more common than not) and it was purely a matter of rediscovering something new about her history.  Just because a book or film or movie isn't about Catholic People Only Doing Catholic Things With Other Catholic People doesn't mean it is "bashing catholicism"

Totally. To some degree it's normal and good for a parent to want his kid to marry in the Faith (or "the religion" practiced by the parents). That just makes sense. But what gripes me about these sorts of movies -- and mind you, I haven't seen this one so am making assumptions here -- is that the Catholic religion is seen as the way of superstitious dolts who ignore the "pedophiles" that run the show -- a show based on really "stupid" things, like God becoming man after having been born of a (get this, chyeah!) a VIRGIN bwahahahahaha!, if you KWIM. There won't be a single DROP of a mention about what's in that Talmud, about how so in-your-face racist post-Temple Judaism is, and so forth. Jewish traditions will be presented as just lovely -- ah, look, there's Mamma now at the Sabbath table, veiled (?!) and covering her eyes and she prays. The family's all around being their delightfully quirky and funny selves. What's not to luv?

The Catholics, though, will be shown to be flesh-hating Puritans. This was even done in "Chocolat" -- which was set in a CATHOLIC country. The pleasures of food? Not for Christians, no (nevermind those exemplary cuisines of Italy and France; that's a trick!). No, the good life and good food are for Jews, with their Sabbath tables loaded up with latkes and babkas.

And, of course, religion as an actual faith in something, as a practice that has teachings that need to be followed, as opposed to something taken on as a mere cultural marker, akin to wearing your favorite football team's T-shirt, will be totally downplayed in favor of Jewish Hollywood's favorite story which will revolve around the question:  how could this girl possibly "turn her back" on her "Jewish identity" -- an identity she'd known nothing about a few days ago-- when soooooooooooooo many of her ancestors (all of 'em except for the ones that sired her and happen to be sitting around the Sabbath table all the time in these movies, with tattoos on their wrists) suffered so badly, at all times, in all places, simply because they were just about always the richest people in town becauseof usury (which is a sin and should still be thought of as such), they loved to be ostentatious about their wealth, they set themselves not just "apart" from, but above everyone else, treating the Christians, whom they considered no better than cattle, according to their very religion, like dogs, and -- no, wait, I mean, who suffered so badly, at all times, in all places, simply because of Christian anti-semitism, born of our theology of Love which somehow foments a hatred of Jews (I mean, just look at our Good Friday prayers! How dare we refer to them as "perfidious" -- lacking in the Faith -- when they don't believe that the Messiah has come like we do!). And those awful, stupid, Christians don''t just hate Jews, they do so "virulently" even. As in like a "virus,: something that strikes the stupid types with neither rhyme nor reason to make any sense of the ethnic tensions at all (for a clue about that, read this fascinating book!).

So, she'll end up Jewish and live happily ever after in Manhattan somewhere. Meanwhile, her Catholic family will plug along in their little Whoville, praying to statues and allowing their children to be molested by those dastardly priests. And so it goes.

(08-18-2013, 12:45 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: No, the good life and good food are for Jews, with their Sabbath tables loaded up with latkes and babkas.

they're really just trying to kill you with refined carbs
(08-18-2013, 12:45 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: So, she'll end up Jewish and live happily ever after in Manhattan somewhere. Meanwhile, her Catholic family will plug along in their little Whoville, praying to statues and allowing their children to be molested by those dastardly priests. And so it goes.

That does seem to be the common narrative you see in Hollywood movies that revolve around faith, unfortunately.  Catholicism is rarely portrayed as anything but a "cultural trapping" that someone sheds once they become "enlightened."  It kind of amazes me that the unwashed masses haven't gotten bored of this trope yet, but they're still buying it.  Maybe after a few decades of male breastfeeding, polygamous interspecies marriages and women having shark babies, people will realize that society was better off when it was more Catholic.

And the ridiculous thing about this narrative is that Jews can be as flesh-hating as we are (and more so).  When I was a kid growing up, I was told that touching a girl was wrong, even in the most platonic way.  Holding hands, hugging, all that was forbidden.  Then I rebelled and found my wife who is Italian and those people can't keep their hands off each other (or me for that matter).
I skipped through a lot of it. It was pretty bad. She visits the family, her brother was offended by her cross. She went into the confessional trying to break up with the church as if it was a geeky boyfriend. The priest encouraged her to "take a different path to God". She has some sort of delusion of Mary and Jesus talking to her from the manger. Mary tells her that religion doesn't define you but you have to have faith or something like that. Then Mary says I'LL BE HERE FOR YOU IN THE MANGER WATCHING OVER YOU. Then Jesus says YO, I'M THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA, NOT YOU! YOU ARE ALWAYS TRYING TO STEAL MY LIGHT! Then Mary goes back again YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO BE THE CENTER OF ATTENTION. blah blah blah. Then she goes to dinner with her Jewish family and her Catholic dad but she is no longer wearing a cross. then the ghost of Moses shows up at the dinner. The end.

Oh yeah...every time she walks into the church Gregorian chant is playing. Why is it every time non-Catholics think of the church they hear chant but the majority of the churches have guitar?
(08-19-2013, 12:33 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: The priest encouraged her to "take a different path to God".

Oh yeah...every time she walks into the church Gregorian chant is playing. Why is it every time non-Catholics think of the church they hear chant but the majority of the churches have guitar?

Interesting that the first can be found in our Catholic churches today, but not the latter.

Can't blame Hollywood for that.