Christie joins the dark side
(08-19-2013, 03:38 PM)catholicschoolmom Wrote: he's just setting himself up for the 2016 nomination.... can't come across as "anti-gay" ya know!   Heaven forbid we actually have a Catholic politician who stands up for Catholic teachings...  very sad day for my 12 year old son who actually got to spend a day with him and thought him to be a really great guy... just another political hack saying what needs to be said to get votes
that and the 2013 gubernatorial race .i agree that 2016 is whats on his mind , and he has to get a leg up on the pro-abort ,pro- hoomosexualist ryan
(08-19-2013, 03:38 PM)catholicschoolmom Wrote: he's just setting himself up for the 2016 nomination.... can't come across as "anti-gay" ya know!   Heaven forbid we actually have a Catholic politician who stands up for Catholic teachings...  very sad day for my 12 year old son who actually got to spend a day with him and thought him to be a really great guy... just another political hack saying what needs to be said to get votes

Or, perhaps rather than being a political hack trying to get votes because of this one issue, maybe he's a really great guy who just happens to be wrong on this issue.
(08-19-2013, 03:43 PM)2Vermont Wrote: We have a winner!

But to OUTLAW conversion therapy?  On what basis?

On the basis it's been shown to cause psychological harm in people?  I mean, at least for minors.  If an adult is dumb enough to spend money on it, that of course shouldn't be illegal.
(08-19-2013, 04:36 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(08-19-2013, 03:43 PM)2Vermont Wrote: We have a winner!

But to OUTLAW conversion therapy?  On what basis?

On the basis it's been shown to cause psychological harm in people?  I mean, at least for minors.  If an adult is dumb enough to spend money on it, that of course shouldn't be illegal.

Are there any other forms of therapy, etc that we outlaw for minors (ie. do not allow parents to act in the best interest of their children)?  I probably should know the answer to this, but I don't.  All I can think of is circumcision.  That's still legal right? 
Bet he's in the "Communion line" every Sunday... at his local NO church. They can have him.
(08-19-2013, 04:48 PM)2Vermont Wrote: Are there any other forms of therapy, etc that we outlaw for minors (ie. do not allow parents to act in the best interest of their children)?  I probably should know the answer to this, but I don't.  All I can think of is circumcision.  That's still legal right? 

Circumcision unfortunately is still legal, although it should be illegal.  Female circumcision is illegal in this country.  If conversion therapy only causes harm and doesn't effect the intended change, then the parent isn't actually acting in the child's best interest, but rather ignorantly believe themselves to be doing so.
(08-19-2013, 05:21 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(08-19-2013, 04:48 PM)2Vermont Wrote: Are there any other forms of therapy, etc that we outlaw for minors (ie. do not allow parents to act in the best interest of their children)?  I probably should know the answer to this, but I don't.  All I can think of is circumcision.  That's still legal right? 

Circumcision unfortunately is still legal, although it should be illegal.  Female circumcision is illegal in this country.  If conversion therapy only causes harm and doesn't effect the intended change, then the parent isn't actually acting in the child's best interest, but rather ignorantly believe themselves to be doing so.
So, other than female circumcision, conversion therapy is now the only thing that parents are forbidden to do for their children?
Let's all face the fact that most Catholics are liberals. Conservatives and the like are a very small minority. 75% of Catholics don't believe in Confession.....60% don't believe in the Real Presence, ...............90% use artificial Contraception,...............25% attend Mass on Sundays. 

Need I say anymore?
(08-19-2013, 05:33 PM)2Vermont Wrote: So, other than female circumcision, conversion therapy is now the only thing that parents are forbidden to do for their children?

I think you're looking at it wrong.  They're not the only things parents are forbidden from doing *for* their children, they're the only things parents are forbidden from doing *to* their children.

And no, those aren't the only things a parent is forbidden from doing to their children.
(08-19-2013, 12:25 PM)Tim Wrote: “Well, my religion says it's a sin,” Christie said on ‘Piers Morgan Tonight.’ “But for me, I don't. I've always believed that people are born with the predisposition to be homosexual. And so, I think if someone is born that way, it's very difficult to say then that that's a sin.

Well, what he is describing, same sex attraction, is something that the Church does not say is a sin.  So someone tell the Gov the good news! 

In other news, I was born with a terrible affliction as well, I'm attracted to pretty girls.  Pretty much all of them.  The medieval Church says I'm supposed to be faithful to my wife, but I simply can't abide a church that wont let me be happy.