Orthodox Posters?
I don't know you all that well yet, but do we have any Orthodox posters on this forum?
(08-20-2013, 08:48 AM)2Vermont Wrote: I don't know you all that well yet, but do we have any Orthodox posters on this forum?

i converted to orthodoxy, but later reverted to traditional roman catholicism because i was homesick for the western tradition.  now i consider myself old catholic for many of the reasons that led me originally to orthodoxy, but i get to keep my western ethos.

when i converted, i was received into the orthodox church in america (oca).  later, i moved to a wonderful english-speaking rocor parish.  they would still consider me orthodox -- just awol. 

of course, i learned a great deal about orthodoxy, which i still esteem very highly.  if i can answer any questions, i will.
Great!  Thanks guacamole!

Do you know if the Orthodox ever changed its Divine Liturgy (as the Latin Church has)?
(08-20-2013, 09:09 AM)2Vermont Wrote: Great!  Thanks guacamole!

Do you know if the Orthodox ever changed its Divine Liturgy (as the Latin Church has)?

I'm Orthodox but don't post very often if at all. 

No, the Orthodox Churches have not changed the Divine Liturgy as the Latin Church has done.  Some jurisdictions here in the USA have translated it from the original languages into English, though.  The closest thing to any changes, lately, would be the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America using inclusive language.  The Russian Church instituted some very minor changes in the 1600's but that was to bring them more in line with the Greek Church.  But these changes were nothing compared to what happened to the Roman Liturgy after Vatican II.

no, the orthodox have certainly not changed the divine liturgy so dramatically.

i'm not an expert on this.  there have been some 'abbreviations' of the divine liturgy and little tweaks, but that is about it.  even the little tweaks led to the formation of the old believers sect in russia.
(08-20-2013, 09:57 AM)Personna Wrote:

I'm Orthodox but don't post very often if at all. 

No, the Orthodox Churches have not changed the Divine Liturgy as the Latin Church has done.  Some jurisdictions here in the USA have translated it from the original languages into English, though.  The closest thing to any changes, lately, would be the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America using inclusive language.  The Russian Church instituted some very minor changes in the 1600's but that was to bring them more in line with the Greek Church.  But these changes were nothing compared to what happened to the Roman Liturgy after Vatican II.

I didn't think so.  Thank you.
(08-20-2013, 09:59 AM)guacamole Wrote:

no, the orthodox have certainly not changed the divine liturgy so dramatically.

i'm not an expert on this.  there have been some 'abbreviations' of the divine liturgy and little tweaks, but that is about it.  even the little tweaks led to the formation of the old believers sect in russia.

Thanks to you too guacamole.  Looks like we posted at exactly the same time! 

Here's another question for you both:  Does the Orthodox Church have a law against certain changes to the Divine Liturgy (and that is why there have only been minor changes)?
(08-20-2013, 10:06 AM)2Vermont Wrote: Does the Orthodox Church have a law against certain changes to the Divine Liturgy (and that is why there have only been minor changes)?

of course!

and it is seen as the responsibility of all orthodox believers, including laity, to make sure there are no shenanigans.  priests and even bishops who do such things are deposed.
(08-20-2013, 10:08 AM)guacamole Wrote:
(08-20-2013, 10:06 AM)2Vermont Wrote: Does the Orthodox Church have a law against certain changes to the Divine Liturgy (and that is why there have only been minor changes)?

of course!

and it is seen as the responsibility of all orthodox believers, including laity, to make sure there are no shenanigans.  priests and even bishops who do such things are deposed.

Welp, I gotta say.  I thoroughly respect them for that.  It still makes me wonder if they are able to do that with so many "players", why can't we?
(08-20-2013, 10:17 AM)2Vermont Wrote: Welp, I gotta say.  I thoroughly respect them for that.  It still makes me wonder if they are able to do that with so many "players", why can't we?

because roman catholic authority is more centralized.  consequently, people are more passive.  that's how we got clown masses and liturgical dancing.

here's an example of a fast smackdown:  http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2010/11...hodox.html