Orthodox Posters?
(08-20-2013, 10:08 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-20-2013, 02:28 PM)guacamole Wrote: i hold to the principle enunciated by st. vincent of lerins for holding fast to tradition.  it is quoted in the first article of the declaration of utrecht (http://www.utrechter-union.org/page/152/...ion_of_utr) .  that is why i have an icon of st. vincent of lerins on my icon wall.

/snip/
i refrained from receiving communion there.  (but did receive absolution and communion, for example, at the pncc church.) 

So, guacamole, in your profile you say,
Quote:i embrace the old catholic tradition and receive the sacraments in a church in full communion with the old catholic churches of the union of utrecht.

so I assume that you accept the 'ordination' of women and the 'blessing of same sex unions' that the Union accepts. And, I wonder how long ago you received absolution and communion at the PNCC church, because, as I'm sure you know, the PNCC broke communion with the Union of Utrecht in 2004 because the Union had fallen into rank heresy and disobedience to the Divine and Natural Law on these matters.

You also say that
Quote:i hold to the principle enunciated by st. vincent of lerins for holding fast to tradition.
From the Wrote:‘Id teneamus, quod ubique, quod semper, quod ab omnibus creditum est; hoc est etenim vere proprieque catholicum’.
, which translates, 'that which has been believed everywhere, always and by all.'

I'm just curious where the attempted ordination of women and the blessing of sodomite 'unions' has been ' believed everywhere, always and by all.'

You later say,
Quote:i don't agree with all the policies of the IBC (International Bishops Conference) of the Union of Utrecht,

Seems to me that you are the cafeteria Catholic par excellence. You have 'cafeteriaed' yourself out of the One, Holy, Catholic, Roman, and Apostolic Faith established as the One True Church, by Our Lord Jesus Christ, through Orthodoxy, into a group that believes doctrines totally in opposition to either Catholicism or Orthodoxy all on the protestant principle of picking and choosing. Wouldn't it be better if you just started your own Church, maybe called the Guacamolean Catholic Church or something like that?

:LOL:  :jester:  :rofl:

The tank really has become a cornucopia hasn't it ?

We need a couple of Call To Action reps and that will just about make it official.

We'll need a new logo soon.... I suggest ....

[Image: The_REAL_Rainbow_Babies.jpg]

well, i wish the old catholic and anglican churches had not begun ordaining women, but i'm starting to come around on that issue, to be honest.  and i don't lose sleep at night worrying that some gay people might be partnered and happy.

so yeah, i guess i am a 'cafeterian catholic.'    :Hmm:  is it okay if i continue to hang out here because of the trad stuff i still have on my tray?  or is it imperative that i leave?  i read the forum rules and it looks like i'm welcome here.  i don't mind being criticized, really.  at the same time, i consider most criticisms to be more about you than about me.  but some criticisms might stick and i could think and pray about it and change.

can anyone recommend a good, friendly, interesting 'pan-catholic' forum that welcomes roman catholics, orthodox, anglicans and old catholics?  i would be interested in that kind of forum.

guac
(08-21-2013, 04:51 AM)guacamole Wrote: so yeah, i guess i am a 'cafeterian catholic.'    :Hmm:  is it okay if i continue to hang out here because of the trad stuff i still have on my tray?  or is it imperative that i leave?  i read the forum rules and it looks like i'm welcome here.  i don't mind being criticized, really.  at the same time, i consider most criticisms to be more about you than about me.  but some criticisms might stick and i could think and pray about it and change.

guac

Oh, you're welcome to stay! It may a rough ride now that we know you're an apostate, tho'! :)
(08-20-2013, 11:42 PM)Joshua Wrote:
guacamole Wrote:as an old catholic, i also have great sympathy for the jansenists and an interest in their history.

Do you also sympathize with Jansenist liturgy which is nothing more than a proto-Novus Ordo?

i certainly find it fascinating!  i guess i sympathize with a lot of it.  i'm sure they celebrated it with a great deal of solemnity and piety.  i attended an episcopalian liturgy last sunday that was both highly participatory and more solemn than most roman catholic novus ordo masses i've attended.  i think the jansenist liturgy was probably something like that liturgy i attended.  i felt a great deal of peace afterwards and the people were normal and kind.
(08-20-2013, 10:15 PM)maldon Wrote: Let me just say that while I do not agree with Guacamole's position in life, this thread was NOT set up to be a Guacamole-bashing thread, and that the person who began the thread began by asking for Orthodox posters, which means he was sort of asking for non-Catholics to post.

I think we should honour fact that Guacamole went out there and made some personal confessions, in answer to personal questions, knowing it would set Guac up for the firing squad.

If you all want to invite Guacamole to live like you, I say do so. But call off the firing squad please.

I would appreciate it as well.  Besides, I have another question about orthodoxy.  Does the Orthodox have bishops and patriarchs like the Eastern Catholics do?  If so, what is the difference between the two?  Or is it like bishops and Cardinals (i.e. they are both bishops)?
(08-20-2013, 05:03 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote:
(08-20-2013, 04:19 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: Furthermore, some EO's like to prey on Catholics who have misgivings about the new form used in the Roman rite, but they have similar gripes about the TLM, which is why it had to be retrograded to a form well before Trent with additional modifications to be used as a "Western Rite" (and even then most Orthodox jurisdictions still reject it).  

Please clarify. Are you claiming that the NO is an attempt to go further back in ancient liturgical history? Because that is a canard that has been foistered upon unsuspecting Catholics ever since the NO was introduced.

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I was not referring to the NO here.  I was referring to the EO version of the "Western Rite," which is basically an attempt to recreate a first millenium version of the Roman rite, with additional things added and changed (like the addition of an epiclesis).  This was done to receive Anglicans as well as Catholics who were disturbed by the First Vatican Council.  My point was that EO who proselytize Catholics will lament the introduction of the NO, but this is just a tactic, because they historically have had the same or more misgivings  with the TLM than they do with the NO.  They don't like any of our liturgical development.  The EO "Western rite" itself is controversial in Orthodoxy, even with the modifications.
(08-21-2013, 07:39 AM)2Vermont Wrote:
(08-20-2013, 10:15 PM)maldon Wrote: Let me just say that while I do not agree with Guacamole's position in life, this thread was NOT set up to be a Guacamole-bashing thread, and that the person who began the thread began by asking for Orthodox posters, which means he was sort of asking for non-Catholics to post.

I think we should honour fact that Guacamole went out there and made some personal confessions, in answer to personal questions, knowing it would set Guac up for the firing squad.

If you all want to invite Guacamole to live like you, I say do so. But call off the firing squad please.

I would appreciate it as well.  Besides, I have another question about orthodoxy.  Does the Orthodox have bishops and patriarchs like the Eastern Catholics do?  If so, what is the difference between the two?  Or is it like bishops and Cardinals (i.e. they are both bishops)?
Yes, we do have bishops.  They are generally in charge of a diocese.  A partriarch is a bishop who is the leader of a particular  Eastern Orthodox Church.  For example, Patriarch Kiril is the head of the Russian Orthodox Church.  We also have Metropolitans who may also be in charge of a particular Church.  For exampl, Metropolitan Tikihon in the head of the Orthodox Church in America.
(08-21-2013, 07:39 AM)2Vermont Wrote: Does the Orthodox have bishops and patriarchs like the Eastern Catholics do?

yes, they do.
Quote:If so, what is the difference between the two?

again, i'm not an expert, but the orthodox would say that all bishops are basically equal.  (that's the theory, anyway!  i'm not sure it's true in fact.)  the patriarchs occupy the traditional patriarchates (constantinople, antioch, alexandria, moscow, etc.).  that is what makes them patriarchs.  they have a special place of honor and influence.  

the question you should be asking is, what is the difference between a regular bishop and a metropolitan?  and what is a synod?  i'll leave you to google it.   :)
Quote:Or is it like bishops and Cardinals (i.e. they are both bishops)?

no, there are no cardinals or anything analagous in orthodoxy, because there is no pope.
I have a few questions.. Are there religious orders for nuns in the Eastern church? Do they have a rosary or chaplet that they pray?

Yes! FE is the Land of Misfit Trads. I'm not even a traditionalist (although I've always been a sympathizer) and I've been here for seven years.

Guacamole, please stay!!!