Orthodox Posters?
(08-21-2013, 09:21 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I have a few questions.. Are there religious orders for nuns in the Eastern church?

orthodoxy does not have religious orders for either men or women.  they simply have monasteries for both men and women.  monasticism is extremely important in orthodoxy.  laypeople are encouraged to visit monasteries regularly, to donate to them, and to foster vocations to the monastic life among their own children.

this is an example of a monastery for women that has a very good reputation:  http://www.holyprotectionmonastery.org/en/mainpage.html
Quote:Do they have a rosary or chaplet that they pray?

yes, but it is called a prayer rope, chotki (russian) or komboskini (greek).  traditionally, it is black and made of sheep's wool.  the black color symbolizes the fact that one is a sinner, and recalls the 'black sheep.'  sheep's wool is used because we are the sheep of the Lord, as He himself said.

the orthodox pray the jesus prayer on the prayer rope.  it can have 33, 50, or 100 knots, typically.  some use it for the orthodox version of the angelic salutation, such as st. seraphim of sarov used and recommended.  here are some prayer ropes:  http://www.chotki.com/

the orthodox do not meditate on mysteries or use their imagination while using the prayer rope.  especially with the jesus prayer, they are instructed (1) to pay attention to the words of the prayer, (2) aware by faith that they are in the presence of the lord jesus but without imagining anything, and (3) to pray in a spirit of repentance, simply, with humility, without expecting or welcoming any spiritual experiences.
(08-21-2013, 09:27 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Guacamole, please stay!!!

okay!   :salute:

i'm certainly a misfit! 

guacamole is good name for me because i'm kind of spread all over the place.
Thanks again personna and guacamole.
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! You're not going to believe this! I clicked on that link to learn more about the chotki: http://www.chotki.com/

and while I had the page up the deacon walked into my office. He said he had "one of those" in his office drawer for a long time, but he never prayed it. He told me I could have it and right now I'm sitting here with a genuine CHOTKI of my very own, with 33 knots, and a pamphlet on how to pray it and the various Jesus prayers.  I mean, does the Lord move in mysterious ways...or what? Can I hear an AMEN?  :LOL:

Lisa, that can be nothing other than Our Lord.  Wow.  He must want this prayer for you.  Laudetur Jesus Chrisus!

I can send you some other very good, sound and simple resources on praying this prayer when I can get home this evening.

I'm so happy for you, I can't tell you.

I have prayed the 33-knot rope in the morning after lectio divina with the holy gospel.
Thanks I would appreciate it! I always had a rough time with the rosary for various reasons. This is perfect!
(08-21-2013, 10:02 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! You're not going to believe this! I clicked on that link to learn more about the chotki: http://www.chotki.com/

and while I had the page up the deacon walked into my office. He said he had "one of those" in his office drawer for a long time, but he never prayed it. He told me I could have it and right now I'm sitting here with a genuine CHOTKI of my very own, with 33 knots, and a pamphlet on how to pray it and the various Jesus prayers.  I mean, does the Lord move in mysterious ways...or what? Can I hear an AMEN?  :LOL:
Yes, the Jesus Prayer is Othodoxy's version of the Rosary.  There is a book called The Way of the Pilgrim (author unknown), that many people read to understand the mystery of the Jesus Prayer.  There is no conflict here with Catholicism.  But i know Orthodox priests do not allow praying the Rosary. 
(08-21-2013, 02:32 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 01:56 AM)Landless Laborer Wrote: I'm Orthodox, converting to Roman Catholicism. 

Welcome, Friend! I came over to Rome from (Serbian) Orthodoxy over 30 years ago and as frustrated as I have been with much of what has happened in the Church in those years, I have never regretted my decision!
Thank you, friend! 
(08-21-2013, 11:06 AM)Landless Laborer Wrote: There is no conflict here with Catholicism. 

There isn't?  Where does the Catholic Faith say it's okay to use non-Catholic/schismatic sacramentals, etc?
...and fools say the Lord does not act in time and space.

tim