Orthodox Posters?
(08-21-2013, 12:13 PM)christulsa123 Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 11:58 AM)2Vermont Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 11:30 AM)christulsa123 Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 11:18 AM)2Vermont Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 11:06 AM)Landless Laborer Wrote: There is no conflict here with Catholicism. 

There isn't?  Where does the Catholic Faith say it's okay to use non-Catholic/schismatic sacramentals, etc?

I believe the Jesus Prayer is Eastern Catholic, but not sure the Prayer Rope is???

tim, what????

If there is an Eastern Catholic connection, then great, but my first reaction to this was why would we pray that Rope instead of the Rosary?

That was my initial thought too.  To make Eastern Catholic practices a habit, I think the Roman rite Catholic should first be advised about this by their priest or confessor.

I think it is safe to say the Rosary is objectively more efficacious

It's not more efficacious if we never pray it, right? I have always had a difficult time trying to meditate on mysteries and recite the Aves at the same time. And I'm a cradle Catholic now in my late 50s. That's why the idea of a chaplet or chotki, paying strict attention to the words of the Jesus prayer, without imagining anything except the presence of the Lord, appeals to me. I have always been Christ centered. I have always been devoted to the Bible. Usually, instead of saying the rosary, I simply read the "mystery parts" right out of the Bible. Lectio divina. I can't see how the rosary is meditation in the useful sense. I always "zone out" about the second or third decade, and end up discarding it.

And what's this talk about schismatic sacramentals? Reminds me of the time someone posted a thread about an Orthodox monastery where the monks made and sold black tea.. and someone called it "schismatic black tea." lol Tea is tea. And a prayer tool is a prayer tool. And what makes a prayer tool efficacious is the pray-er. Finally, I don't feel the need to ask anyone's permission to pray the chotki. After all, it was an ordained Catholic deacon who just gave it to me.
(08-21-2013, 12:39 PM)Sant Anselmo Wrote: The use of a Chotki goes back to the ancient monastic tradition in the Church, either during or shortly after the time of the Desert Fathers.  Originally it was used for the recitation of Psalm 70-1 over and over again. which is one of the main ways monks fulfilled the command to "pray always" when they were working, or otherwise in between hours of the Divine Office.  Later, the Eastern Tradition developed this into what today is known as the Jesus Prayer.  St. John Cassian discusses this in his writings on the monastic tradition. 

While I agree that the Rosary is a wonderful and edifying prayer, creating some sort of dichotomy between use of the Rosary and a Chotki is a bad idea.  The Church does not regulate private devotions or private prayer in general.  Sacramentals are not sacraments.  Different people are drawn to different devotions and prayer traditions.  We have a dozens of different spiritual traditions in the Church for a reason (Dominicans don't pray exactly the same way as Franciscans, who don't pray exactly the same way as Benedictines, etc.). 

In addition, our Holy Father Pope Francis is frequently seen with one around his wrist. 

Sorry, Sant Anselmo, my post above jumped us to a new page, and I think your insightful post deserves to be brought over.
(08-21-2013, 12:42 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Sorry, Sant Anselmo, my post above jumped us to a new page, and I think your insightful post deserves to be brought over.

Nothing to be sorry about.  Cheers, 
Like I said, if it is a Catholic means of prayer, great.  But no, I disagree that it's okay for a Catholic (or inline with *Traditional* Catholic teaching) to pray Muslim prayer beads, for example.
(08-21-2013, 01:56 AM)Landless Laborer Wrote: I'm Orthodox, converting to Roman Catholicism.  Orthodoxy looks great from the outside, but practically, it's an empty shell.  Although they don't admit it, each branch is under the control of its respective state.  They have no universal catechism, because if they tried to produce one, they would expose the fact that they are anything but unified, thus destroying their argument against a central authority.  I disagree with one of the other posters who said remarriage is rarely allowed.  It is constantly allowed.  3, 4, and 5 times depending on the branch.  90% of the populations in Orthodox strongholds are adherents.  But abortions are rampant, as is extra-marital sex...contraception a given.   Most Orthodox (at least in the old world), don't really understand what sin is, the church doesn't catechize the laity, that's reserved for the monastics.  Yes, i'm giving up the beautiful liturgies and iconostasis walls for clown mass.
There was a big change to the Russian liturgy in the 1600's which produced the "Old Believers" schism.   

Thanks for sharing that.  Just so you are aware (I imagine you are), depending on where you live, you don't have to settle for a clown Mass.  Thankfully, such things are hardly rampant anymore, even at NO parishes (there might be some issues, but I highly doubt you will experience that first hand).  However, you can also look for parishes which offer either: the Traditional Latin Mass; an Anglican Use or Ordinariate Mass; or probably the best fit for you, and Eastern Catholic parish where you can continue to worship in a recognizable way while being in communion with the Catholic Church.  In addition, it must be noted that there NO parishes which offer the Mass of Paul VI in a very beautiful and reverent manner.  They are not as prevalent as they ought to be, but they do exist. 
When I was a novice this was the big thing to learn (as Anselmo said):

Deus in Adjutorium meum intende, domine ad adjuvandum me festina.

Over and over on our beads as part of ejaculatory prayer. It's the oldest ejaculatory prayer there is. Older than the Jesus prayer. Beautiful.
(08-21-2013, 01:30 PM)Basilios Wrote: When I was a novice this was the big thing to learn (as Anselmo said):

Over and over on our beads as part of ejaculatory prayer. It's the oldest ejaculatory prayer there is. Older than the Jesus prayer. Beautiful.

What does it mean?  How far does it go back?
(08-21-2013, 01:36 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 01:30 PM)Basilios Wrote: When I was a novice this was the big thing to learn (as Anselmo said):

What does it mean?  How far does it go back?

Oh God come to my assistance, Oh Lord make haste to help me (that's one translation).

How far I am not certain/can't remember. But my superior preached on it and researched the hell out of it. So I'm taking it on his authority.
(08-21-2013, 12:51 PM)Sant Anselmo Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 01:56 AM)Landless Laborer Wrote: I'm Orthodox, converting to Roman Catholicism.  Orthodoxy looks great from the outside, but practically, it's an empty shell.  Although they don't admit it, each branch is under the control of its respective state.  They have no universal catechism, because if they tried to produce one, they would expose the fact that they are anything but unified, thus destroying their argument against a central authority.  I disagree with one of the other posters who said remarriage is rarely allowed.  It is constantly allowed.  3, 4, and 5 times depending on the branch.  90% of the populations in Orthodox strongholds are adherents.  But abortions are rampant, as is extra-marital sex...contraception a given.   Most Orthodox (at least in the old world), don't really understand what sin is, the church doesn't catechize the laity, that's reserved for the monastics.  Yes, i'm giving up the beautiful liturgies and iconostasis walls for clown mass.
There was a big change to the Russian liturgy in the 1600's which produced the "Old Believers" schism.   

Thanks for sharing that.  Just so you are aware (I imagine you are), depending on where you live, you don't have to settle for a clown Mass.  Thankfully, such things are hardly rampant anymore, even at NO parishes (there might be some issues, but I highly doubt you will experience that first hand).  However, you can also look for parishes which offer either: the Traditional Latin Mass; an Anglican Use or Ordinariate Mass; or probably the best fit for you, and Eastern Catholic parish where you can continue to worship in a recognizable way while being in communion with the Catholic Church.  In addition, it must be noted that there NO parishes which offer the Mass of Paul VI in a very beautiful and reverent manner.  They are not as prevalent as they ought to be, but they do exist. 
Thanks for your comments!  We do have one church in our diocese that offers the Traditional Latin Mass, but it is 8 hours away.  And i was being a bit facetious.  We have respectful Novus Ordo masses in our area.  No Eastern Rite parishes around here.  Its not a problem for me.  I just want valid sacraments. 
But i will do some research on the Anglican Use and Ordinariate Mass....not familiar with those. 
(08-21-2013, 01:51 PM)Landless Laborer Wrote: Thanks for your comments!  We do have one church in our diocese that offers the Traditional Latin Mass, but it is 8 hours away.  And i was being a bit facetious.  We have respectful Novus Ordo masses in our area.  No Eastern Rite parishes around here.  Its not a problem for me.  I just want valid sacraments. 
But i will do some research on the Anglican Use and Ordinariate Mass....not familiar with those. 

Here is an example of an Anglican Use Mass. The rites for the Ordinariate are still being worked out to my understanding. 

+Pax