Report: Catholics and Lutherans consider their commonalities.
(08-22-2013, 05:07 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I do wish people would get their history right Not only was Henry not a Lutheran, he was granted the title 'Defender of the Faith' by HH Pope Leo X for his defence of the Sacraments against Luther. Henry lived and died a Catholic, albeit a schismatic. Anyone killed under Henry was killed because they were protestant heretics.

Jovan, the way you posted this makes it look like I did.....I didn't.  Try to be careful when you are quoting and posting, please....thanks.....
(08-22-2013, 05:12 PM)2Vermont Wrote: Henry VIII only killed Protestant heretics?  St Thomas More anyone?

Henry VIII killed anyone who got in his way......that excerpt was not sometinh I wrote.  I wrote that Henry VIII wasn't Lutheran and that's it.
(08-22-2013, 05:07 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 08:53 PM)lumine Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 02:25 PM)Asperges me Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 01:24 PM)dark lancer Wrote: How many Catholics were martyred by Protestants?

Thousands. Hardly a priest left alive in England when Henry VIII was through with his terror.

I do wish people would get their history right Not only was Henry not a Lutheran, he was granted the title 'Defender of the Faith' by HH Pope Leo X for his defence of the Sacraments against Luther. Henry lived and died a Catholic, albeit a schismatic. Anyone killed under Henry was killed because they were protestant heretics.

Henry VIII wasn't Lutheran....

See?  The almost accurate statements from history were not made by me.....except the fact that Henry VIII was not Lutheran.
(08-22-2013, 06:41 PM)lumine Wrote:
(08-22-2013, 05:12 PM)2Vermont Wrote: Henry VIII only killed Protestant heretics?  St Thomas More anyone?

Henry VIII killed anyone who got in his way......that excerpt was not sometinh I wrote.  I wrote that Henry VIII wasn't Lutheran and that's it.
I knew it wasn't you Lumine because I saw your previous post.

I stand corrected. He killed St Thomas More and St John Fisher for treason, not for heresy. The overwhelming majority of those he had executed were Lutherans, Calvinists and Anabaptists. In fact, under his Six Articles, denial of Transubstantiation was an offence punishable by death. The statement I was actually replying to was that there was hardly a priest left alive when he finished his 'reign of terror', which is patently false. The persecution of Catholics qua Catholics did not begin until the reign of his thoroughly protestant son, Edward VI.
(08-21-2013, 01:24 PM)dark lancer Wrote: How many Catholics were martyred by Protestants?
How many Protestants were martyred by Catholics?
(the Inquisition, the St. Bartholomew Slaughter, the Sicilian Vespers..... Not to mention the Crusades, how many Muslims were killed?)
We, in the Catholic field should be more humble and accept our portion of guilt.  It is high time  Lutherans, Anglicans,Catholic become friends.  Don't they also believe in the same God?
(08-22-2013, 10:16 PM)voltape Wrote:
(the Inquisition, the St. Bartholomew Slaughter, the Sicilian Vespers..... Not to mention the Crusades, how many Muslims were killed?)
We, in the Catholic field should be more humble and accept our portion of guilt.  It is high time  Lutherans, Anglicans,Catholic become friends.  Don't they also believe in the same God?

Leaving aside the issue of whether a material heretic could be martyred for expressing a true  proposition (e.g. A Muslim convert to Protestantism murdered in Iran), a person killed for the sake of a false religion, even though his death be unjust, is not a martyr.
(08-22-2013, 10:16 PM)voltape Wrote:

All Catholics have done for the past 50 years is "accept guilt" -- even for things we didn't do. The Crusades were defensive wars, for ex. We shouldn't feel guilty at all for driving the Muslims back to the MIddle East after they warred their way all up to Tours. We get blamed for the freaking Holocaust even. It's sick. The St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre? Sure. Unruliness on the part of some during some of the Crusades, leading to the deaths of Eastern Christians and Jews? Definitely. But apologies for the Crusades themselves, the Holocaust, the this, the that, and the other have to stop.

(08-22-2013, 10:52 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: All Catholics have done for the past 50 years is "accept guilt" -- even for things we didn't do. The Crusades were defensive wars, for ex. We shouldn't feel guilty at all for driving the Muslims back to the MIddle East after they warred their way all up to Tours. We get blamed for the freaking Holocaust even. It's sick. The St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre? Sure. Unruliness on the part of some during some of the Crusades, leading to the deaths of Eastern Christians and Jews? Definitely. But apologies for the Crusades themselves, the Holocaust, the this, the that, and the other have to stop.

Vox, I agree with everything you said here with one small qualification. You said, 'We shouldn't feel guilty at all for driving the Muslims back to the Middle East after they warred their way all up to Tours.' With the exception of Arabia, where the paedophile established his satanic, gutter religion, all of what we now think of as the Middle East, North Africa, Turkey the Holy Land, etc. was Christian territory until the followers of the child rapist came bursting out of Arabia slaughtering as they came. And it wasn't just Tours. Six hundred years later they were finally stopped at the Gates of Vienna on 11 September 1683. Notice a possible coincidence regarding the date? They have long memories. Too bad Catholics don't.