Benedict says God told him to resign during 'mystical experience'
I think that by now most of us should know that Popes have little to no say on most episcopal picks (except in extreme cases). The power to pick orthodox vs unorthodox Bishops is with the nuncios.
Unum Sint goes directly to the point. The Pope has been hog-tied by Nuncios, Cardinals, Curia, their Monsignori, and Bishop's Conferences. For what it's worth I saw Pope Benedict as the consummate intellectual theological ivory tower thinker, and he realized these guys had him sussed. Worse his training and temperament were never a match for the real problems. To the war of wits he came well armed but it was a gun he needed not wits. What we need is a throwback and a contradiction. The Pope to fix this will need to be like Christ showing all mercy and charity to those confused and repentant while reinforcing the Church as the sole Moral authority but also like Christ, tie up those cords and go after the Banksters. I see Catholics are totally confused and can not see besides the smoke of Satan in the Church, Satan is running the current economic systems, and it is antithetical to bringing Christendom. Every one of the sexual revolution's changes have been effected here and supported by the Dynast's Philanthropies and their money.

tim
I pray that the wind is not from below where the stink  of vac ii blew in.
(08-21-2013, 06:33 PM)Cetil Wrote: This sounds bogus to me. Pope Benedict isn't the type to make off the cuff remarks. 

C.

I agree, this is bogus.... and I have a theory on why this report is being made.

It is being made to silence traditional criticism of Pope Francis.

Since traditionalists are less than pleased with the new pope, I am sure many are also ticked off that Pope Benedict made the decision to resign (I am of this opinion myself) and so by claiming GOD told him to resign it is suppose to shut us up.

Classic Deus Ex Machina resolution.
(08-22-2013, 01:04 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: I agree, this is bogus.... and I have a theory on why this report is being made.

Since traditionalists are less than pleased with the new pope, I am sure many are also ticked off that Pope Benedict made the decision to resign (I am of this opinion myself) and so by claiming GOD told him to resign it is suppose to shut us up.

A very interesting theory indeed winoblue.  Unfortunately, I am not totally convinced that Benedict XVI was *that* traditional.  He still embraced Vatican II theology such as ecumenism.
(08-21-2013, 01:06 PM)FlosCampi Wrote:   Francis said he didn't want to be Pope. Maybe that was God telling him not to accept it. ???
Not necessarily, the cardinal who wants to be pope is the one who is least qualified for the job.
If Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI truly did have a mystical experience from God telling him to resign, wouldn't that mean that God has at least some approval for the NO?
(08-22-2013, 01:04 PM)winoblue1 Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 06:33 PM)Cetil Wrote: This sounds bogus to me. Pope Benedict isn't the type to make off the cuff remarks. 
C.
I agree, this is bogus.... and I have a theory on why this report is being made.
Funny you should say that. All during his pontificat I have heard nothing but complaining about the "evil Pope Benedict" from "Traditionalists." He bent over backwards to accomodadte the SSPX and they have rejected him.. All I have heard on these forums is criticism, griping and complaining. Jack Chick shows more respect for the pope than some of these guys do. 
I believe Pope Benedict was more "hands on" than he gets credit for. This was a really interesting piece: "Throughout his eight-year papacy, Pope Benedict XVI has “carried out a cleansing of the episcopate,” said the apostolic nuncio to Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tadjikistan.

“This Pope has removed two or three bishops per month throughout the world because either the accounts in their dioceses were a mess or their discipline was a disaster,” said Archbishop Miguel Maury Buendia during a Feb. 20 address at the University of San Pablo in Madrid.

“The nuncio went to these bishops and said, ‘The Holy Father is asking you for the good of the Church to resign from your post.’” 

Nearly all of these bishops, when approached by the Pope’s representative, were aware of the “disaster” and accepted the request to resign, he added. "

http://www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/World.php?id=7089

But I do believe Pope Francis is not so interested in discipline, unfortunately.
C.
Is the story true? Does anyone know? I looked at the Vatican website but I didn't see anything. I don't see a section for "latest news." Surely if they had one this story would have made it. I hate being cynical but it sounds bogus to me too.