GK Chesterson's cause for sainthood underway
My bad guacamole.  I must be one of the humor-challenged...lol.

(08-23-2013, 08:37 AM)2Vermont Wrote: My bad guacamole.  I must be one of the humor-challenged...lol.

Cheers!
Chesterton is a neo-con fave. He has been elevated because of EWTN, and Ahlquist. That said in his time he was a Lion. He debated Atheists and always was humorous and kind unlike political debate today. He had insight into the commonsensical which no trad has anymore, except those from before Vatican II.  In his 'a Man called Thursday" he quips "I knew i was in good Christian company because all of the men were drinking beer" of course I'm paraphrasing as it's from memory.

Frankly, if he is put to rigorous test and has been found practicing heroic virtue, I'd be very happy. You see he was an educated man for sure but he was humble and had a wicked sense of humor. I'd love to see a medal of St. Chesterton with a cape and a sword stick chasing atheists down the street. That is something we need.

tim
(08-23-2013, 09:07 AM)Tim Wrote: Frankly, if he is put to rigorous test and has been found practicing heroic virtue, I'd be very happy.

I guess this is the key...heroic virtue.  What does that even mean anymore?
2Vermont, part is we can't see clearly at the time a saint is among us. There are tons of Saints that were considered a "problem" in their time, and were curtailed by the Church. Conversely that is probably the best argument for no fast track ever. Chesterton after 50 years is starting to come into clearer view, then not so much. He was English and had penchants for eating and drinking in a time when gentlemen's lives were spent out and about, he could've been considered a bon vivant back then. Today with hindsight he is a chubby anachronism of the Victorian Era, a Catholic Sherlock Holmes for realz.

tim
The first step towards canonization is to examine if the candidate performed "extraordinary virtuous actions with readiness and over a period of time. The moral virtues are exercised with ease, while faith, hope, and charity are practiced to an eminent degree."  This is known as "Heroic Virtue."  If found so, he/she is declared "Venerable."

Has Chestrton passed the test?  I have prayed to him (even though he may still be in Purgatory, who knows) to pray for me as I work out my salvation and for the wisdom to know the Catholic faith in the best possible light.  I do as well to Hilaire Belloc, perhaps he should also be examined for heroic virtue.
Well I'll be the "Devil's Advocate" here and ask: did Chesterton have an excessive attachment to eating and sleeping?  I heard that.  I have no idea.  Huh? 

Btw, I love to eat and sleep.  Sticking tongue out at you
(08-23-2013, 01:15 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: Well I'll be the "Devil's Advocate" here and ask: did Chesterton have an excessive attachment to eating and sleeping?  I heard that.  I have no idea.   Huh? 

Btw, I love to eat and sleep.   Sticking tongue out at you

It's amazing to me how few people know that he suffered of a condition that affected his metabolism hence his weight. But hey just for that let us revoke St Thomas Aquinas sainthood.
(08-23-2013, 01:40 PM)Unum Sint Wrote:
(08-23-2013, 01:15 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: Well I'll be the "Devil's Advocate" here and ask: did Chesterton have an excessive attachment to eating and sleeping?  I heard that.  I have no idea.   Huh? 

It's amazing to me how few people know that he suffered of a condition that affected his metabolism hence his weight. But hey just for that let us revoke St Thomas Aquinas sainthood.

How about the sleep issue?  Huh?
(08-23-2013, 01:47 PM)christulsa123 Wrote:
(08-23-2013, 01:40 PM)Unum Sint Wrote:

How about the sleep issue?   Huh?

ReallyHuh? I mean really?

I don't want to sound uncharitable or like an angry trad here... but may be you should look up the word "metabolism."