Proposed New Subforum: Living The Gospel and the Virtues
i would like to suggest to vox clamantis and y'all that there be a new subforum about living the gospel and developing the virtues.

i just don't think enough attention to paid to this issue.  it is vitally important.  the gospel, in its totality, is traditional!  that includes works of mercy, forgiving 70 x 7 times, turning the other cheek, laying down one's life for one's friends, the beatitudes, giving rather than receiving, the whole shebang.  'whoever loves me does the will of my father.'  can we talk about how to live out these words of our lord in our lives?  why concede the charge of other catholics that traditional catholics are pharisees and don't care about these things and even violate them?  having a subforum devoted to the gospel would be a good reminder and a real help!

i don't know, but our lord seemed to focus on these things, didn't he?  didn't he??

it would also make sense to discuss the development of the virtues in this new subforum.  cardinal virtues, theological virtues, gifts of the holy ghost, fruits of the holy ghost.

please?  catholicism is a life, not an ideology. 

Edited by Vox to add CAPS to subject line to make a proper title. Subject headings of some sub-fora end up in RSS feeds, so ALL CAPS, no caps, misspellings, etc. matter here!
No thanks, I'm already a saint.
Wouldn't that fit into the Sacred Scripture sub-forum?
Guac, that sort of stuff should be going in this sub-forum and -- well, all the sub-fora, as far as that goes. I've found, though, that those sorts of threads tend to go nowhere.  E.g., I posted a "Random Acts of Charity" thread that asked folks to do something totally random and wonderful, inspired by Love for Christ, and tell us all about it). It just dieded on the spot. Someone said, in effect, that "we're not supposed to talk about the good we do" -- and I didn't respond, seeing the thread wasn't going to work, but was thinking to myself "We're anonymous on the internet.. And the point isn't to brag, but to INSPIRE others." It really sorta saddened me that that thread didn't take off, because I want for FE and the forum to truly make better Catholics out of people, and what you say about LIVING the Gospel is exactly right on.  Traditionalism can too easily be seen by others as a "mere" aesthetic preference and/or intellectual conviction as opposed to what it actually is: the means given to us by the Way, the Truth, and the LIFE to receive grace and worship Him. But He did a hell'va lot more than just set up a Church to give us those gifts.

Matthew 22:34-40
But the Pharisees hearing that he had silenced the Sadducees, came together: And one of them, a doctor of the law, asking him, tempting him: Master, which is the greatest commandment in the law? Jesus said to him: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. And the second is like to this: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments dependeth the whole law and the prophets.

James 2:15-26   
What shall it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but hath not works? Shall faith be able to save him? And if a brother or sister be naked, and want daily food: And one of you say to them: Go in peace, be ye warmed and filled; yet give them not those things that are necessary for the body, what shall it profit? So faith also, if it have not works, is dead in itself. But some man will say: Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without works; and I will shew thee, by works, my faith. Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well: the devils also believe and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, offering up Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou, that faith did co-operate with his works; and by works faith was made perfect?  And the scripture was fulfilled, saying: Abraham believed God, and it was reputed to him to justice, and he was called the friend of God. Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only? And in like manner also Rahab the harlot, was not she justified by works, receiving the messengers, and sending them out another way? For even as the body without the spirit is dead; so also faith without works is dead.

If we're not thinking about and acting on, as you put it, the "works of mercy, forgiving 70 x 7 times, turning the other cheek, laying down one's life for one's friends, the beatitudes, giving rather than receiving, the whole shebang," then we're missing the point. Not just missing a point, but missing THE point entirely.

There are some trads who parent large families, or are ill or impoverished and who don't have the time or resources to engage in big endeavors, who are fulfilling their Gospel duties just by their very lives. But I so wish that trads who are able and have the means would organize more voluntary efforts, start up soup kitchens, prison ministries, groups that visit the elderly in nursing homes, groups that help folks who aren't able to get their lawns cared for or their roofs re-shingled, etc. Wouldn't it be STUPENDOUS if traditional Catholics were "famous" for doing such things in the Name of Jesus (and remembering the Parable of the Good Samaritan in the process!)?? (before someone says something, I am not meaning to say that "fame" -- which isn't what I'm talking about, really, in the first place, is the goal. I am talking about reputations). You know how those nice Mormon boys are famous for coming to our doors and offering to help you with something while they're there? That should be us, but minus the annoying door to door stuff (though introducing ourselves to our neighbors so we're in the position to help them would be nice, as would leaving at their houses flyers about the nearest TLM).

I dunno... All that said, I TOTALLY encourage you to post threads here about living the Gospel message. Ideas, inspiring stories, articles -- whatever! PLEASE go for it! The forum needs it! Trads are good at prayer, spiritual reading, and knowing what good liturgy is, but we (as a group, the ones who are able) fail in getting off our butts and DOING works in the Name of Jesus.

(08-22-2013, 05:47 AM)2Vermont Wrote: Wouldn't that fit into the Sacred Scripture sub-forum?

No, it'd go in this sub-forum -- one about Catholic living, culture, etc. Much of what we know about the corporal works and how to go about them doesn't come straight from Scripture (and Guac wasn't promoting yet another intellectual pursuit, like Scripture Study or spiritual reading, which trads have plenty of -- "too much" of RELATIVE to doing good works).
Ah, you know I totally missed the "Culture" part of the title of this forum....probably because a lot of my past posting here and other places has dealt with the News.

(08-22-2013, 05:04 AM)guacamole Wrote: Edited by Vox to add CAPS to subject line to make a proper title.

I Forgive You, Vox Clamantis.
(08-22-2013, 06:18 AM)guacamole Wrote:
(08-22-2013, 05:04 AM)guacamole Wrote: Edited by Vox to add CAPS to subject line to make a proper title.

I Forgive You, Vox Clamantis.

And I forgive you for forgiving me. But we'd better nip this now until one of us is forgiving the other for forgiving the other for forgiving the other -- you get the idea :P
"and throughout all eternity, i forgive you, you forgive me.  as our dear redeemer said:  'this is the wine.  this is the bread.'"  -- robert browning, christmas-eve and easter-day.
Sounds like a wonderful idea, as long as we keep it "philosophical" and not like Oprah, where we trot out our dirty laundry (CAF is famous for this -- "I did X this many times, etc")

I think if it were more like moral theology questions then it would work great.  :)