Catholic Push to Overhaul Immigration Goes to Pews
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/us/pol...wanted=all

Thoughts?
I think it's fantastic. There is no more pressing need in the Church of America today.

When  I sit down and think of myself as a Bishop this is the first thing that comes to my mind.

"If we as Bishops could collectively co-ordinate and send one message to the Catholics of America: what would that message be?"

The answer I keep coming up with is "Immigration!"

If more Catholics cared about immigration the Church would be in a much better state, and American Catholic life would really explode and nobody would be able to hold us back. I hope Pope Francis' next encyclical deals with the unjust discrimination laws.

Peace. Immigraton. Society. Serenity.
PISS
(08-22-2013, 04:00 PM)Basilios Wrote: I think it's fantastic. There is no more pressing need in the Church of America today.

When  I sit down and think of myself as a Bishop this is the first thing that comes to my mind.

"If we as Bishops could collectively co-ordinate and send one message to the Catholics of America: what would that message be?"

The answer I keep coming up with is "Immigration!"

If more Catholics cared about immigration the Church would be in a much better state, and American Catholic life would really explode and nobody would be able to hold us back. I hope Pope Francis' next encyclical deals with the unjust discrimination laws.

Peace. Immigraton. Society. Serenity.
PISS

You slay me.

I think it stinks -- a ploy to get more warm bodies in the pews on the part of American Bishops who've run American Catholics out of their parishes because of their combination of banal liturgy and a lack of emphasis on truly LIVING the Gospel and KNOWING Christ. It's not doing Americans any favors to bring in more poor, uneducated workers when we have enough poor, uneducated, UNEMPLOYED people here -- in addition to educated folks who can't get jobs because there already aren't any.

While I have great pity on folks of poorer countries who'd like to live in America, this country has to be reasonable and sane about the levels of immigration we allow given our economy and cultural situation.  The answer to helping the poor of other countries isn't to turn the USA into a third world country in the process, but that's where we're headed. In addition to that, we have to consider the willingness of any immigrants we do allow in to assimilate, speak English, find employment, and not become a drain on our resources. All immigrants aren't equal in that regard. We have to look at what's actually going on to make decisions about this sort of thing and not rely on some alleged principle that doesn't exist, to my knowledge, in Catholic teaching in the first place.

My understanding of Catholic teaching is that our sphere of concern should first be immediate family, then extended family, then neighborhood, then town, then State, then nation, then world, or however it is subsidiarity works in a given area (e.g., throw in "county" or "township" or "province" if need be). If the lower of those levels are out of whack, we should stop right there and get that in order before we move on to worrying about the next level. In other words, with our problems right now, we have to worry about our own poor before worrying about the poor of other countries.

And it aggravates me to no end that the liberals typically pushing for this unlimited immigration aren't willing to live in the barrio or ghetto, or have the barrio or ghetto creep toward their gated communities. They won't be the ones dealing with the crime and poverty and living in neighborhoods that look more like Tijuana than America, with signs in a foreign language and clerks who don't understand you. They want "the little people" to put up with the real world consequences of their wanting cheap, foreign labor to do the dirty work their big corporations need done so they don't have to pay Americans fair wages. And the same goes for their exporting jobs to India and China. The bastards.
Edited because suggesting the Bishops, the Bishops Conference, USCCB, and their employees, are or were wrong is inappropriate as a laymen commenting from a message board outside the situation.

I believe the Healthcare law was bad, but speculating on why they came to the conclusion they did or whether the law was good or not should have been kept to myself and I should take the benefit of the doubt and question only privately to the people involved and not via Fisheaters.com

I apologize to the the Pope, the Church, the Bishops Conference, USCCB, their employees, the Bishops, Priests, Clergy, Cardinals, and any or all individuals or organizations mentioned such as Catholic Ansers, the radio hosts and or writers for any sins of Gossip, Detraction, Calumny, and/or Slander caused by this post and others in the thread or Fisheaters.com as well as any other sins by it committed such as scanda, racism, prejudice, bigotry, and any sins others fell or might fall into by reading them as a result.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end. Amen.