The Rational vs. The Emotional

Wow, thank you very much for posting all of that! I appreciate it -- and really want to get Baar's book!
(09-02-2013, 12:15 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Wow, thank you very much for posting all of that! I appreciate it -- and really want to get Baar's book!
My pleasure! and it is certainly to be recommended! It is pretty reasonable on Kindle as I recall
Ave Maria!
Interesting thread. I like both emotions and reason. Both are God-given and good. Though, Reason is higher, it directs the emotions and helps steer one clear of one's more base or lower element, I believe.

:tiphat: Thanks for the intriguing stuff!
Virgil isn't it our wills which steer us from emotional outbursts and concupiscence and not reason which only informs us.

tim
I'm sorry; you are correct. I was thinking of the wrong thing! It is indeed, our 'wills' that steer us from emotionalism and concupiscience. Our Reason merely informs us. :tiphat: Thank you for your correction. I was  a tad mixed up, I suppose!
Virgil, that's no biggie. it's my hobby horse. I hear everywhere, Trad and NO, where learning, reading, reasoning, supplant Faith. It is I believe what Our Lady spoke of at Fatima. Reason has supplanted Faith, leading to the current crisis. Both interpretations are different but share this reasoning is the Faith. it is not. The entire package was revealed by Jesus Christ, and if we love Him we will follow His commandments. And if we learn anything from Our Lady it should be humility.

tim
I think its important to distinguish between intellect - the faculty, wherein the theological virtue of faith resides! - and reason (the act of the faculty), both of which are seated in the rational soul, along with the rational appetite/the will. The intellect of course informs the will, but never commands. I think the main point here is that the more the intellect is informed with knowledge of the genuine - and not just perceived - Good, the more the sensitive appetites (wherein in the passions/emotions arise) and the rational appetite/will tend towards, or love, the genuine good, the Holy Trinity.

Personally, I went through a long period of having to uproot counterfeit goods - false gods! - from my intellect before my passions/emotions (love, joy, desire, hope, courage among them!) would begin to tend towards charity and God. It seems to me that people tend to reduce the emotions to sadness and some sort of giggly romantic love, which is tragic because they are seriously given to us in order to strengthen our pursuit of the good - properly understood - and to fight against evil. St Thomas is quite clear that moral acts can be more meritorious - and more perfect - when there is found therein the synthesis of intellect, will, and passion. Gloria in Excelsis Deo!!

Glory be to God especially for the wonderful theological virtues - Faith, Hope, and Charity - and remember especially that according to the teaching of the Angelic Doctor, these are not proportionate to natural gifts...how humbling!
(09-05-2013, 02:58 PM)LiberaNosIesu Wrote: I think its important to distinguish between intellect - the faculty, wherein the theological virtue of faith resides! - and reason (the act of the faculty), both of which are seated in the rational soul, along with the rational appetite/the will.

yes, it is easy for us to miss this distinction.  the intellectus, which baars says is key to our emotional healing, is not the same as the regular reasoning faculty.  to understand what it is, it's better to read the fathers of the eastern church on the nous (the greek term).  if you google nous and nepsis (watchfulness), you will find useful material.

I've got two of Baars's books! One, "Feeling and Healing Your Emotions" and "Healing the Unaffirmed." I am looking at the latter book first and came across this, which sort of makes a point I've been trying (and trying and trying) to make about how trads need to be warm toward others and to not ridicule affective needs:

From Book Wrote:Another state of life in which the incapacity to direct oneself emotionally to others also presents great difficulties is that of spiritual adviser. It is the task of spiritual advisers, whether priests, ministers, religious, or rabbis, to dedicate themselves to the spiritual welfare of other people. They can do this work with their will alone, of course, without the participation of their feelings, but in that case their work will bear little or no fruit., for people are moved mainly by feelings; they desire kindness and warm sympathy. To be told in a coldly logical manner what the must do to be saved, or to be helped in a businesslike way in the correction of their faults, has rarely brought anyone closer to God.