Animal Blessing
My original parish, which I no longer go to for obvious reasons, is having it's annual bazaar. At some time during the day they are having a blessing for people's animals. I guess this is ok and all, but the one doing the blessing is a laywoman and not the priest. Isn't this weird? 
i guess the animals won't be complaining about invalidity, so they thought the gal could get away with it.

i have read about fathers and mothers giving a blessing to their children, but i suppose that is a special case.  obviously, it's not a priestly blessing.  i guess it's a ritualized expression of prayer and love for the child.

but i think having this gal bless the animals causes confusion and blurs the distinction between priests and laity.  and i suspect that this is the real point.  plus, the priest didn't want to be bothered.  and the lady might be one of those very active parish pantsuit ladies and they wanted to give her something to do.  and again, the animals don't know what the hell is  going on anyway.

no, i have not been drinking.
(09-04-2013, 08:27 PM)JMartyr Wrote: My original parish, which I no longer go to for obvious reasons, is having it's annual bazaar. At some time during the day they are having a blessing for people's animals. I guess this is ok and all, but the one doing the blessing is a laywoman and not the priest. Isn't this weird? 

The blessing of animals is an ancient tradition. The Rituale Romanum provides several, but they are to be given by a priest. This, obviously, is yet one more attempt at denigrating the ordained Priesthood and replacing it with the prot  concept of the 'priesthood of the laity'.

***ETA***From the Roman Ritual:
http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/resources/...imals.html
Was it a pre-VII custom?  On what feast day?

I just might have to bring our two dogs and cat to church to get blessed.
(09-04-2013, 10:09 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: Was it a pre-VII custom?  On what feast day?

I just might have to bring our two dogs and cat to church to get blessed.

Some parishes do it on or around St. Francis of Assisi's feast day.  My parish had it in May for years because of the weather, but the current priest changed it to around St. Francis' day.