Reasons Butter Is Actually Good For You
I definitely use real butter. It tastes so much better!!
(09-09-2013, 09:55 AM)drummerboy Wrote: We freeze ours too. 

I thought you could can butter too somehow, if anyone really wanted to try it...

This woman shows how to can butter: http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2013...utter.html

However, before she starts she vaguely mentions and dismisses that the USDA says you shouldn't do it and that people are concerned about the possibility of botulism so... I would definitely proceed with caution (or not at all).
(09-09-2013, 09:31 AM)Zedta Wrote:
(09-08-2013, 07:30 PM)dark lancer Wrote: Everything good for you is expensive.

Who buys real butter anymore?

I do, in bulk at Costco or at Sams and I freeze it for use later. Works well and tastes great too! It isn't any more expensive than that 'chemical stew' margarine out there. Then, when it comes to Oleo/Margarine, the cheaper the more hazardous to your health!

Vegetable oil spread is so much cheaper per pound, even at the big box stores.
Actually healthy foods are not that expensive.  They pack a lot of nutrients into a small package so you get something for your money.  Margarine lacks nutritional value so there's no reason to buy it.  Might as well just eat dry toast.

Furthermore, unhealthy diets lead to loss of energy and focus.  What you save by purchasing junk food is quickly lost in sick days, loss of productive energy and healthcare expenses.  I never cease to be grateful for the fact that I was raised with a minimal amount of processed foods in my diet when growing up.

The high cost of real dairy products is a good thing in that it leads people to moderation.  If butter is twice the cost of margarine, just buy the butter and use half as much in a week.  Same effect on the budget, major benefit for health.
(09-10-2013, 08:46 PM)dark lancer Wrote:

I do, in bulk at Costco or at Sams and I freeze it for use later. Works well and tastes great too! It isn't any more expensive than that 'chemical stew' margarine out there. Then, when it comes to Oleo/Margarine, the cheaper the more hazardous to your health!

You are what you eat, so if Oleo/Margarine is cheap and unhealthy, then...?  :O

Besides, Oleo/Margarine=TRANSFATS which are VERY bad for a person and Butter has NONE and isn't all that more expensive...perhaps cheaper in the long run, because what Akivit posted after you is so true too, that it goes a lot longer than the cheap stuff because the taste is so much better, you don't need as much!
(09-11-2013, 03:24 PM)Zedta Wrote:

Besides, Oleo/Margarine=TRANSFATS which are VERY bad for a person and Butter has NONE and isn't all that more expensive...perhaps cheaper in the long run, because what Akivit posted after you is so true too, that it goes a lot longer than the cheap stuff because the taste is so much better, you don't need as much!

The spread we have has 0g trans fats per serving.
(09-11-2013, 08:52 PM)dark lancer Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 03:24 PM)Zedta Wrote:

The spread we have has 0g trans fats per serving.

Yes, until you heat it up and cook with it, then the transfats are produced. If you must eat a fake butter, be sure it is a formula without transfats (like yours), but then it may be costly and when you read the label it will appear as though you are consuming someone's 'science project',--which in fact, you are!

I'll eat the one from God's 'science project'.
(09-10-2013, 02:32 PM)KNKnotTNT Wrote: I definitely use real butter. It tastes so much better!!
(09-09-2013, 09:55 AM)drummerboy Wrote: We freeze ours too. 

I thought you could can butter too somehow, if anyone really wanted to try it...

This woman shows how to can butter: http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2013...utter.html

However, before she starts she vaguely mentions and dismisses that the USDA says you shouldn't do it and that people are concerned about the possibility of botulism so... I would definitely proceed with caution (or not at all).

Hi, thanks for the link  :grin: I have been wondering if it was ok to can butter, or how to do it. I will look into this. I love real butter & think it is the best option. I think it has a lot of benefits. I also love extra virgin olive oil & coconut oil depending on what I am making. In any case, real butter is awesome, thanks so much. God bless you.
(09-10-2013, 09:05 PM)Akavit Wrote: Actually healthy foods are not that expensive.  They pack a lot of nutrients into a small package so you get something for your money.  Margarine lacks nutritional value so there's no reason to buy it.  Might as well just eat dry toast.

Furthermore, unhealthy diets lead to loss of energy and focus.  What you save by purchasing junk food is quickly lost in sick days, loss of productive energy and healthcare expenses.  I never cease to be grateful for the fact that I was raised with a minimal amount of processed foods in my diet when growing up.

The high cost of real dairy products is a good thing in that it leads people to moderation.  If butter is twice the cost of margarine, just buy the butter and use half as much in a week.  Same effect on the budget, major benefit for health.

Right on.  Just look at beans, rice, and potatoes, not to mention whole grains.  These can serve as the foundation for countless meals, and are all cheap, nutrient packed, and filling.  Add in vegetables, dairy products, and some meat (you really don't need that much meat, esp. with dairy and beans in the diet) and you're good to go.  As an example: when my parents go on vacation I cook for my brother and myself.  I made a crock pot of beans, using only 1 lb of red beans (the recipe was called cowboy beans - basically chili powder and some other spices and bacon grease with water; those were awesome tasting beans, and that one little pound bag of beans made a lot of food for $1.40.  I could but two 1 dollar cheeseburgers that will not fill me, and with no nutrients, or spend that two dollars on beans/spice that could feed me for two days (if I only wanted to eat beans).