Traditional Catholic Customs
that cemetery in Orange NJ takes up 2 sides of the garden state parkway and nearly covers 2 or 3 exits!!! also always got a chuckle that its right next to the closed down Pabst Blue Ribbon brewery!
(09-12-2013, 04:39 PM)catholicschoolmom Wrote: that cemetery in Orange NJ takes up 2 sides of the garden state parkway and nearly covers 2 or 3 exits!!! also always got a chuckle that its right next to the closed down Pabst Blue Ribbon brewery!

I know exactly which one you mean, but that's not Rosedale.  It's another one.

Whenever we passed that stretch of the Garden State Parkway -- and we did innumerable times -- my grandfather (the son of the great grandfather I mentioned) would say, "Skeleton Park.  Everybody's dying to get in."

Now do you understand why I'm like this?
youre right... Rosedale is off Rt. 1 and 9... near the turnpike in Linden NJ.... Rosehill is on the other side of  00the highway....
(09-12-2013, 08:34 AM)guacamole Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 12:33 AM)Poche Wrote: I don't care how I am buried as long as  I get to go to Heaven.

My great-grandfather (a working class white anglo-saxon protestant who married a Finnish immigrant), lived next to Rosedale cemetery in Orange, NJ.  He used to say, "When I die, just throw me over the back fence."

(This is not a Catholic custom.)

Wow, he must've been really great to have been over 900 years old! I live in the land of the Angles and have yet to meet any bona fide Angles!

By the way, there are no such thing as Anglo Saxons. I'm being hipster here in my pedantic academia push but listen up, it's slightly interesting. The Angles and the Saxons were two different tribes in Britain. The Saxons didn't all come though; some of them stayed in mainland Europe. When people started writing about the history of Britian they needed a way to differentiate between the different Saxon groups. One easy way was to latch onto the fact that the British Saxons were in the same land as the Angles. And Hence, the Anglo-Saxons. I think it may even have been St Bede who first used this term (as far as we are aware).

My mom's husband's family has been living in this area for at least 500 years. He has all the nordic features - definitely of Viking stock somewhere. Living in the area is interesting because you can tell who comes from where. The lady at work has very long, curly ginger hair and can't take the son. She's short and stocky. Definitely a Celt. My other work friend is tall, lanky, brown haired and has a terribly shaped nose so I am certain he has some Norman.  The accents are also very interesting and if I knew more than I do about the history (I wish I did but it's only one of my spare-time obsessions) I would probably be able to have a great time studying them.

The history of the English language is absolutely fascinating.
(09-14-2013, 05:14 PM)Basilios Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 08:34 AM)guacamole Wrote: My great-grandfather (a working class white anglo-saxon protestant . . .)

Wow, he must've been really great to have been over 900 years old! I live in the land of the Angles and have yet to meet any bona fide Angles!

Yes.  My great-grandfather, Herbert Lyon, was 958 years old when he died.

I read a book called The History of English about 20 years ago and it confirms what you say.  England is quite a melting pot, as is English.

AND DAMN YOUR SAUCY PEDANTRY!   :angrywom:
(09-14-2013, 06:08 PM)guacamole Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 05:14 PM)Basilios Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 08:34 AM)guacamole Wrote: My great-grandfather (a working class white anglo-saxon protestant . . .)

Yes.  My great-grandfather, Herbert Lyon, was 958 years old when he died.

I read a book called The History of English about 20 years ago and it confirms what you say.  England is quite a melting pot, as is English.

AND DAMN YOUR SAUCY PEDANTRY!   :angrywom:

Hey Guac, no swearing in my thread...DAMMIT!  :incense: :Ozzy:  :LOL: