Critique of Pope Francis' interview with American Magazine by Louie Verrecchio
The article is from a columnist for the Catholic News Service.  I think the criticisms are strong but reasonable, but the pope's interview also had many laudable aspects. 
(09-25-2013, 08:16 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(09-25-2013, 07:41 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote:
(09-25-2013, 07:28 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Pope's are human as us. I think some traditionalist Catholics (and I wouldn't call the people on TIA, Catholic) forget this.

Would you call the pictures I posted above Catholic? Because the "competent" authority, Holy Mother Church, has condemned actions such as these.

The question becomes this: If JPII had approached you and asked, "Austen, would you come into this mosque with me and pray with these muslims?", would you do it? If so, why? If not, why not?

May I ask if you are a sedevacantist?

I am a devout Catholic who leaves open the possibility that we are in the midst of a great apostasy.
(09-25-2013, 08:55 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(09-25-2013, 07:08 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote:
(09-25-2013, 06:52 PM)JayneK Wrote:   nor do I think that people here would be competent to declare (or observe) a pope is a heretic, 

Jayne, you were a convert, right? You had the competence to decide, with God's grace, that the Catholic Church was Christ's Church, right?

It was all grace and no competence.  I was so clueless about what being Catholic means that it's scarey. 

Jayne, come on. At some point you made an intellectual asent to what the Church teaches.
(09-25-2013, 08:17 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(09-25-2013, 08:07 PM)OldMan Wrote: A page out of Francis' play book.

Yep I'm on the Catholic team.

Right.
(09-25-2013, 08:58 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(09-25-2013, 07:20 PM)OldMan Wrote:
(09-25-2013, 07:08 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: Jayne, you were a convert, right? You had the competence to decide, with God's grace, that the Catholic Church was Christ's Church, right?

Now she is a doctor of the Church...

I think you need to wait for me to be canonized for that.  (Hint: Don't hold your breath.)

Do you mean like at your wake? That is the current custom.
(09-25-2013, 09:09 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: I am a devout Catholic who leaves open the possibility that we are in the midst of a great apostasy.

And I think you may indulge yourself in one too many conspiracies. Regardless if we are, what are you doing besides bashing the popes behind your anonymity?

Forget it, I'm not interested.
(09-25-2013, 09:45 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(09-25-2013, 09:09 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: I am a devout Catholic who leaves open the possibility that we are in the midst of a great apostasy.

And I think you may indulge yourself in one too many conspiracies. Regardless if we are, what are you doing besides bashing the popes behind your anonymity?

It's more than likely that a certain level of humility wouldn't allow him to answer anyway.
But i would venture to guess that he sincerely prays the Most Holy Rosary, does penances, and makes sacrifices.  Only a guess of course, but i'd be surprised if i was wrong.  He probably prays for the pope and bishops.... you know the type. 
(09-25-2013, 09:45 PM)austenbosten Wrote:

First, stop with the ad hominem attacks. I put my faith in the teachings of the Chruch, first and foremost.

Second, you haven't addressed anything in regarda to past Church teachings and the scandalous actions of the post conciliar popes.

(09-25-2013, 11:04 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: First, stop with the ad hominem attacks. I put my faith in the teachings of the Chruch, first and foremost.

Second, you haven't addressed anything in regarda to past Church teachings and the scandalous actions of the post conciliar popes.

For one, I'm not doing an ad hominem attack. I'm simply making an observation.

Second, I think there were problems with ambiguity of language with Vatican II and I do think these "interfaith" dialogs do invite scandal and does not promote the Faith.

But you have another thing coming if you think I'm gonna share a commonality with Martin Luther and don on the 'holier than thou' super-Papal mitre and start calling the Vicar of Christ a heretic. No matter what actions the Pope takes even if it upsets us, he is still the Pope. God willed that he be selected to run His Church and he --as well as the office-- demands a little respect. It's easy for us to be overly critical when we only have our own souls to tend to, but Holy Father has over a billion souls. So while there are actions I question, it sure as Hell ain't my place to start casting stones and making judgments.
If anyone says anything critical about the pope, they are sedevacantist?  But, you retract your statement about TIA being sede. 

You are imbibed in VII speak.  You should negotiate, on behalf of Rome, with the SSPX.