Obamacare question
Here is the real kicker. I can't wait for this.  :LOL:

The young people are supposed to sign up and their premiums would be used to pay for the elderly. Most young people don't need it, can't afford it, nor want to pay for it. So penalties will be handed down that ramp up over time. The IRS is in charge of collecting those penalties. I wonder how many young people's tax returns will be docked? If that doesn't create an uproar I don't know what will. Obama will be out of office when this whole thing starts spiraling out of control. Then the single payer system will be ushered in and the real problems start.
(09-26-2013, 09:08 PM)medievalman86 Wrote: so far we have:

1) IPAB: it is what it is now, further legislation could make it actually bad
2) yes, usual catholic objections (regards sterilization, i assume thats in regards to contraceptions, in that it requires employers to cover: abortions, contraception, AND sterilizations)
3) yes mainstream republican objections (the death panels isnt realy in this category anymore as its pretty much debunked baring chapter book verse so to speak in the bill that says he IPAB has permission to deny health care to ____ because it costs to much)

No, you are forgetting usury and going against subsidiarity.

- The law adds far more to the unpayable debt. The amount of debt added to the nation clearly is usurious and grave.

- The amount of bureaucracy and corporatism involved clearly is egregious to Catholic social teaching on subsidiarity. The law forces all to purchase a product from a private corporation. This is wrong as those not needing insurance and struggling with poverty already will not benefit.
It's sort of like the British Crown raising the taxes on tea then forcing the colonists to buy it.
(09-26-2013, 10:53 PM)Asperges me Wrote: It's sort of like the British Crown raising the taxes on tea then forcing the colonists to buy it.

Exactly! Americans had a choice not to buy imported tea, but they would rather riot and cause a revolution...imagine what they would think of us today.

A man with more power than King George III ever had and far more draconian and tyrannical. Taxes far more grueling and punitive and now coercion to purchase a good. Seriously the Colonists would be screaming bloody murder at us.
We Catholics were as large a reason, if not more so, than taxes. Think of the Quebec Act of 1774, and the rather explicit mention of it in the Declaration of Independence. But I understand your point. The intent behind Obamacare seems to be to collapse health insurance as it is in this country, to create the need for that which is desired, to replace it. As the various elements of Affordable Care Act become active, the expense increases for employers, as incentive for either increasing costs for employees, or dropping coverage so the pool of those shopping the healthcare marketplaces increases. And simultaneously, aren't pre-existing condition coverage rules taken off the books?

(09-26-2013, 11:01 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(09-26-2013, 10:53 PM)Asperges me Wrote: It's sort of like the British Crown raising the taxes on tea then forcing the colonists to buy it.

Exactly! Americans had a choice not to buy imported tea, but they would rather riot and cause a revolution...imagine what they would think of us today.

A man with more power than King George III ever had and far more draconian and tyrannical. Taxes far more grueling and punitive and now coercion to purchase a good. Seriously the Colonists would be screaming bloody murder at us.
the HHS mandate requires that virtually all employers (including most Catholic institutions) to offer coverage for artificial contraception in teh insurance that is being offered.
(09-27-2013, 05:45 AM)dahveed Wrote: We Catholics were as large a reason, if not more so, than taxes. Think of the Quebec Act of 1774, and the rather explicit mention of it in the Declaration of Independence. But I understand your point. The intent behind Obamacare seems to be to collapse health insurance as it is in this country, to create the need for that which is desired, to replace it. As the various elements of Affordable Care Act become active, the expense increases for employers, as incentive for either increasing costs for employees, or dropping coverage so the pool of those shopping the healthcare marketplaces increases. And simultaneously, aren't pre-existing condition coverage rules taken off the books?

Yeah can't forget the Catholic hate. Sad how Quebec has gone from a Catholic province to a modernist one and the US is seeing itself become more in-lined with Catholic teachings.