Black Marian Images of Europe
Statues of the Virgin with a black completion where popular in Europe during the Middle Ages up to the Rennissance.
They are a beautiful example of Christian art and many are unknown outside of their respective countries.
France
[Image: Black_Madonna_4.jpg]
Our Lady of Belloc
[Image: Dorres,Mark.jpg]
Our Lady of Le Puy
[Image: le-puy-scanned2.jpg]
Our Lady of Good Deliverance in Paris
[Image: viergenoire.jpg]
Spain
Our Lady of Montserrat
[Image: La-virgen-de-Monserrat-Bas%C3%ADlica-y-m...C3%B1a.jpg]
Switzerland
Our Lady of Einsiedeln
[Image: 3b2c1071-7a88-4b1a-9171-528bf41c55f6]

Nice! And there's always Our Lady of Czestochowa:

[Image: OLC.jpg]
I love the icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa! I used to have a copy of but I don't what happens to it.
I am not sure about the others, but Our Lady of Einsiedeln was originally not black at all; centuries of incense and candle smoke deposited a thick layer of soot over the surface of the statue. Some centuries ago, it was cleaned, and everyone was aghast: it looked nothing like how it did before. The monks of the abbey and the pilgrims preferred the holy statue the old way, so they painted it black to restore the old look.
I prefer Japanese-style Madonnas. They're cool.
[Image: japanesemadonna.JPG]
(09-27-2013, 11:09 AM)Cyriacus Wrote: I am not sure about the others, but Our Lady of Einsiedeln was originally not black at all; centuries of incense and candle smoke deposited a thick layer of soot over the surface of the statue. Some centuries ago, it was cleaned, and everyone was aghast: it looked nothing like how it did before. The monks of the abbey and the pilgrims preferred the holy statue the old way, so they painted it black to restore the old look.

Man, kinda gross that it took them CENTURIES to clean that statue! LOL
Our Lady of Loreto from Italy
[Image: 458216.jpg]
That first one actually looks like its modeled after an African.  Maybe something to do with the rumors floating around about Prester John and Christian Ethiopians.