Tornado
Anyone else live in tornado country?

We get frequent tornado watches and warnings in this area. Right now we're under a tornado warning, however I think they're full of crap, I don't see a thing. Not only that but the batteries in my camera are dead so I suppose I couldn't take a picture of it even if I did see it..

I'm in "Tornado Alley" too.  The last time we had a tornado alert, I just kept in mind the Apostles on the boat with Christ, what He said to them and how He calmed the waters.

Not to say you shouldn't get in the basement or bathroom when you see the tornado heaeding right towards you.

I used to live in a trailer park.  I slept through the tornado when I was in kindergarden, the trailer next to ours was flipped, but ours was fine.

I wonder how many tornados are Masons?
We get tornados here alot during the height of the hurricane season.  Everyone makes such a big deal out of it but when ever they touch down it only wrecks one  or two houses... out of millions!

We don't get any of those mile-wide big ones here like they do sometimes in OKlahoma.
I don't live in "tornado alley" but from time to time we get severe thunderstorm which can possibly produce tornadoes. I will say, if I hear the sirens, I take cover. I used to be terrified of tornadoes when I was a kid. Now I think they're kinda cool.
Here is a fascinating (but long, about an hour) video on Tornado Safety. It shows some dramatic footage including the video of a tornado passing directly over the cameraman who is trying to take cover in an overpass and also a man struck by lightning but still continues to videotape a tornado. (On the page, click on "View Ed Kieser's Tornado Safety Video" which is kinda small and hard to see)
LOL, JLeigh.  Well, there was a secret project that the military was working on.  They were planning on flying a specially engineered jet bomber into the eye of a hurricane and actually STEER the hurricane in any direction, but Fidel Castro got wind of it and made a huge deal about it and the project was supposedly scrapped.

Hmm, Masonically controlled weather devices... who knows.  I doubt they have anything like that, or else we trads would already be dead, lol.

I live in Indiana, plenty of tornados here.
They have these sirens, installed in the 1950's as air raid sirens, that sound off for tornado warnrings right?
OK.
Well now they are setting them off for thunderstorm warnings too, which is really irritating. I'm starting to ignore them, since they often mean nothing. It's the "cry wolf" syndrome. I doubt I'm the only one. It is just this year they started doing this.

miss_fluffy Wrote:

We get tornados here alot during the height of the hurricane season. Everyone makes such a big deal out of it but when ever they touch down it only wrecks one or two houses... out of millions!

We don't get any of those mile-wide big ones here like they do sometimes in OKlahoma.

You guys are lucky!  I live in the Cincinnati area, and we DO sometimes get the big ones.....On Arpil 3,  1974, thirty five people were killed by tornadoes in a town near us.  Our own home had to have  new roof, and our entire town looked like a war zone.  One neighborhood was completely demolished....Luckily, no one was killed.

A manager at a local grocery store...Thriftway......had all his customers and workers get into a cooler....We watched a tornado demolish that store....from our house.  The whole thing was a nightmare.  We were in the middle of one of the largest outbreak of tornadoes on record.....In fact, I think it IS the largest number on record.  I'll never forget it.

After this...I was a paramedic.....I would sometimes have to make runs in severe weather...Sometimes I was sicker (nerves) than my patients! 

Once you experience a tornado, or see the horrible damage one can cause, you never take the Warnings for granted again......We have a good weather radio in our home, and are careful to watch the skies.

Someone said that they didn't see a thing, so they weren't going to worry...Was it the OP?  Anyway....Tornadoes often drop down AFTER the storm has passed, or when things look kind of calm.....You might not see anything 'till it's too late.

We get lots of severe weather becase cold fronts and the warm, moist air from the Gulf often collide right over us......

Tornadoes are nothing to laugh at, or ignore...They kill.

Sandy
kjvail Wrote:I live in Indiana, plenty of tornados here.
They have these sirens, installed in the 1950's as air raid sirens, that sound off for tornado warnrings right?
OK.
Well now they are setting them off for thunderstorm warnings too, which is really irritating. I'm starting to ignore them, since they often mean nothing. It's the "cry wolf" syndrome. I doubt I'm the only one. It is just this year they started doing this.

I agree with you that sirens should not be set off for severe storms...That is so confusing....They don't do that in our county...Warren....But it is done in Hamilton County, whiech is where Cincinnati is......People just never know what is really going on down there.....Is it a Severe Storm Warning or a Tornado Warning.  There is a big difference. 

I think the reasoning behind this  practice is that tornadoes generally come out of severe storms, so people need to be on the alert...Well....There is usually a Severe Storm Watch or Tornado Watch in affect at the time, so I don't see the need to sound the sirens when a severe storm is approaching....People are already being vigilent....I hope.

Sandy
miss_fluffy Wrote:

We get tornados here alot during the height of the hurricane season. Everyone makes such a big deal out of it but when ever they touch down it only wrecks one or two houses... out of millions!

I'm in Oklahoma. Been here since moving from tremor-alley Los Angeles 10 years ago. The huge 3/4 mile wide twister of May 3 1999 missed us by a mile. Actually, we did the wrong thing...get in the car and go the "opposite" direction (weather radio instructions stated the tornado was headed southwest, so we headed northeast). Ha! The thing turned around and chased us. We droved 30 miles and turned northwest. Fortunately, the twister went straight ahead, tore up whole towns, damaged Tinker AFB, etc. I finally saw my first twister actually touchdown...a small one, an F2 type. The May 3 was an F5 -- winds up to 250 mph. Scary? At least we get warned when a tornado is developing and have a chance to seek shelter (we finally built an underground one in our side yard). I've been in three termendous earthquakes when we lived in L.A. There is no warning. It just happens, and it always seems to choose sometime in early dawn to shake up the ground.