FE Reading Group
Sorry I haven't responded I was in a retreat over the weekend.

I am up for the reading group. I don't really mind what genre of book it is, but some of my favorites are history, religious, literary, and such.

I also don't mind if I have to pay for the book, so long as it's not too expensive.

Can't wait to see if the group actually starts
I'm in, as long as it is generous with time. Super busy around here :)

I have been wanting to read something like a consecrated religious biography or orders experience during WW2 about Hitler and another consecrated religious biography or orders experience about the famine Stalin imposed on his own people. If there isn't one, maybe some aspiring writer would take up the task and write it :)

I read The River by Flannery O'connor awhile ago and boy did that one get to me. Didn't read anymore of A Good Man is Hard to Find even though she excels in the genre. (I think those teens who are into that emo or depressing writing like Anne Rice would benefit from her though, they'd actually learn something IMO)

A Mirror of Shalott by Robert Hugh Benson ( he was ordained a priest in Church of England then converted to Catholicism, became priest and Mons.) is one I have been wanting to read.

Edited because smartphone typing makes spelling mistakes easy!
Ha! Just read through the posts and someone mentioned the author already :)

I'm in.

Msgr. Benson is a good choice for first author. But there are many other places to start.

How about a vote on either a mix of fiction and non or only fiction?

I abstain as I don't care.

let me try to put it together from the comments so far

City Smurf mix 1/0/1 (mix/fiction/ :shrug:)

dahveed mix 2/0/1

Chestertonian fiction 2/1/1

ArturoOrtiz mix 3/1/1

candyapple mix 4/1/1

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong.

How  'bout a 2/3 fiction 1/3 non-fiction?

OK, who wants to lead a reading group? Jacob, who had the idea originally? Anyone? It'd have to be someone who knows how to incite discussion, who's willing to lead and offer commentary and ask questions, who'd set up a reading schedule, etc.... 

I'm reading my book from the other thread right now, so I'll have to pass for the moment.
I'll help however I can.

My formal education was in physics and I work in law, but literature has sort of become my thing these last few years.

Anyone out there with a formal education in literature, history, classics, journalism, or some such who might like to lead this? Anyone else?

I've never lead a reading group before and would be very reluctant to head this.  :Hmm: But if no one else wishes to, I'll give it a shot.
Anybody?
(10-15-2013, 04:45 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: I'll help however I can.

My formal education was in physics and I work in law, but literature has sort of become my thing these last few years.

Anyone out there with a formal education in literature, history, classics, journalism, or some such who might like to lead this? Anyone else?

I've never lead a reading group before and would be very reluctant to head this.  :Hmm: But if no one else wishes to, I'll give it a shot.

I myself am not the best at starting discussion so I don't know how good of a book group leader I would be in that regards, but I am sure I can do something.

I am currently majoring in business, but I am planning to also major in history as well as it is favorite subject. I read history books when I can and usually find to enjoy them the most. For that reason I would probably do better when it comes to that.

I sure hope we can get something going on though

So far, it looks like Roger the Shrubber's the one. Any other volunteers? If we get a list of names, we can put it to the vote or something...
What book do we want to read?

Robert Hugh Benson?

Shalott, Lord of the World (if we go with that, we basically have to go with The Dawn of All as well), Come Rack! Come Rope!

Something else.

Those interested should make their voices heard.

:tiphat: