9/11 for the Magisterium: The Francis Interviews -- by Fr. Cekada
(10-15-2013, 09:59 PM)Papist Wrote: I don't understand why SVs just don't become Eastern Orthodox.

1. They dislike incoherent theology.

2. They dislike the biker beards.
(10-15-2013, 10:16 PM)FatherCekada Wrote:
(10-15-2013, 09:59 PM)Papist Wrote: I don't understand why SVs just don't become Eastern Orthodox.

What's incoherent about their theology? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm seriously asking.
ROCOR has a Western Rite. Western Rite Orthodoxy isn't that popular but it is an option. There is one around here in Jacksonville called Holyrood House. I always thought that I'd rather be Orthodox than SV myself, maybe even Western Rite but I have never really wanted to leave the Catholic Church even though I have even gone as far as becoming an Orthodox catechumen at one time. Personally I'd take the theology of St Gregory of Nysssa, St Isaac of Syria or even, say Vladimir Lossky over most traditional Roman Catholic scholasticism. My mind just doesn't see things in neat little syllogistic categories. I'm not a scientific reason type person in any way shape or form, including theologically. As a Catholic I can respect that the Church has made scholasticism important but it does nothing for me. It's dry, boring, rationalistic and just soul deadening, doesn't deepen my love of God in the slightest. I guess to each his own as long as that theology doesn't contradict any defined dogmas. Thank God the Church is bigger than St. Thomas Aquinas and 19th century neo scholasticism.
(10-15-2013, 10:13 PM)FatherCekada Wrote:
(10-15-2013, 06:43 PM)Cetil Wrote:
(10-15-2013, 11:08 AM)FatherCekada Wrote: .

Francis is not speaking merely about "bishops' conferences" but about synods, which in canon law are actual legislative bodies. There is nothing to prevent a pope from giving them law-making authority on certain questions which would then bind individual bishops and dioceses.

Francis has already mentioned downgrading CDF's role regarding denunciations for "unorthodox" teaching (!) and handing such questions over to the bishops.

What specific canons of the 1983 code are you referring to with respect to synods?

C.

The outline of the 1983 Code is here:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_INDEX.HTM

The provisions for Episcopal Conferences can easily be tweaked to turn them into national synods with a considerable amount of legislative authority, and the existing provisions for the Bishops' Synod (c343) would already allow Francis to give it actual deliberative power over a wide range of cases.

Thank you, that confirms that you were not referring to anything that currently exists in canon law although your earlier response suggested otherwise.

C.
(10-16-2013, 01:02 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: As a Catholic I can respect that the Church has made scholasticism important but it does nothing for me. It's dry, boring, rationalistic and just soul deadening, doesn't deepen my love of God in the slightest. I guess to each his own as long as that theology doesn't contradict any defined dogmas. Thank God the Church is bigger than St. Thomas Aquinas and 19th century neo scholasticism.

And as Leo XIII said, "In theology, the consumer is always right."  :)
(10-15-2013, 10:16 PM)FatherCekada Wrote:

I haven't found their theology to be inconsistent... just totally different from what we're used to. And while its not true that Eastern priests are required to have a beard, I find them rather impressive.

"You can't grow a beard in a moment of passion." -GK Chesterton

I don't understand why some people ask such silly questions...
(10-16-2013, 08:05 AM)OldMan Wrote:

I don't understand why you think it's a silly question. I am unsure how one can have faith in a Church which is supposed to have, Pope, but has not had one for decades.

Of course, I disagree with the SV position and I do believe that Pope Francis is the Pope.
(10-16-2013, 03:52 PM)Papist Wrote:
(10-16-2013, 08:05 AM)OldMan Wrote:

I don't understand why you think it's a silly question. I am unsure how one can have faith in a Church which is supposed to have, Pope, but has not had one for decades.

Of course, I disagree with the SV position and I do believe that Pope Francis is the Pope.

Sigh! Such an obvious question has (obviously) been answered many, many times before, but we're not going to get into it here.

All you have to do is take about ten minutes, look through a few of the articles I've written and you'll find it.