Seasoning a cast iron skillet
I bought a cast iron skillet this weekend.  I had intended to buy one for awhile.

I understand that I need to "season" the skillet with oil and heating so that the metal is properly coated.  Of course I'll Google, but I'd also welcome tips from Fishfolk.
Pour some vegetable oil in it. Take a paper towel and mop up the excess, wiping all interior surfaces of the pan so there's just a light coat of oil. Put it in a hot oven (above 350 F) and let sit for an hour or so. Shut the oven off and let the pan cool. That's the way I've done dozens of skillets, sauce pans  and dutch ovens over the years. Oh, BTW and VERY important! If the pan has a wooden handle as many do, be sure to unscrew the knob on the end and take the handle off until it's done. You don't want to set fire to it while it's seasoning.
Thanks, Jovan. I'll follow your directions, since you have plenty of experience with these.

It's all metal, by the way.
These are the very best skillets for thick steaks fried in butter and oil. Oh my I wish I had an inch and a half thick Porterhouse in the freezer today.

tim 
And, I might add, once it's seasoned please don't wash it!

I will just take running water and a scrub brush and give it a quick go-round under the water, dry immediately with a paper towel and let dry completely. If there's still gack on it, pop it in the oven again for stuff to burn off, then give it a scrub again. No soap, ever!
How and how much seasoning is needed depends on whether it is bare cast iron, silvery in color or factory seasoned like the Lodge cookware, black in color.  If you have to season it and have access to a BBQ grill with a cover it would be wise to heat the grill and season the pan outdoors, the process really gets smokey because you have to get the temperature past the smoke point of the oil to be effective, greater than 400F for at least one hour.  Once seasoned, I agree you should never use soap or an abrasive pad, clean it with hot water and a stiff brush, dry and apply a light wipe of oil while the pan is still warm from the hot water.
Using a paper towel, coat your pan with a very thin layer of Crisco. Put your pan in the oven on a low temp--like about 200 degrees for around 4 hours--until it gets all super shiny. Now it's seasoned. Use no soap! To clean, use a steel wool scrubber
[Image: UpdateInternational_SSP-50.jpg]

Don't use s.o.s. or the like, because they have soap. Dry the pan with a clean towel.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Well. clearly there is no "one" best way to season a cast iron pan.  :Hmm: :Hmm:

I use the high-temp method and it produces a hard, non-stick coating; I admit I have not attempted the low-temp method but others appear to have success with it.  Interestingly, the Lodge Cast Iron web site recommends 300F for re-seasoning their cookware.  Regardless of which method, you will build up a hard non-stick coating through use, provided you don't scrub it off.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of "seasoning" a skillet?  Why is it called "seasoning?"  Just for cast iron?
(10-13-2013, 09:03 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: Pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of "seasoning" a skillet?  Why is it called "seasoning?"  Just for cast iron?

It gives it a non-stick surface and makes it much, much easier to clean! Not sure why it's called seasoning, but I assume it's in the sense of 'older' or 'experienced '.