Pope Francis in the Media
Well that was filthy. The hell is that doing on a Catholic forum?
+10 points added to my Anti-humanistic Misanthropy today!

Now, I really want to write my wish-fulfillment fantasy novels on the papacy of the past and future!

I really dislike Bill Maher. He goes on and on and has no idea what he's talking about. His confusion of "redemption" and salvation" is par for the course. He's one of those people that makes it very hard for me to be charitable. He's my personal test LOL

Anyway, so basically what we have in that video are a bunch of know-nothing journalists telling us what the Pope believes, not understanding infallibility, not knowing the difference between redemption and salvation, etc. -- and they're wrong. Nothing new there, folks. Move along.

But it is sad that the Pope doesn't seem to "get" the media at all and gives these off-the-cuff interviews that are so easily distorted. Wish he'd stay inside his apartment more often. Or something.

And for the record, I am with the Pope when it comes to stressing evangelism, the Gospel, the Good News, works of mercy and charity, etc. -- but all that doesn't have to come at the price of watering down doctrine, not talking about the evils of abortion, active homosexuality, etc., and degrading the liturgy.

(10-16-2013, 05:43 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: And for the record, I am with the Pope when it comes to stressing evangelism, the Gospel, the Good News, works of mercy and charity, etc. -- but all that doesn't have to come at the price of watering down doctrine, not talking about the evils of abortion, active homosexuality, etc., and degrading the liturgy.
You are really one of the most reasonable voices here.
(10-16-2013, 08:37 PM)Papist Wrote:
(10-16-2013, 05:43 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: And for the record, I am with the Pope when it comes to stressing evangelism, the Gospel, the Good News, works of mercy and charity, etc. -- but all that doesn't have to come at the price of watering down doctrine, not talking about the evils of abortion, active homosexuality, etc., and degrading the liturgy.
You are really one of the most reasonable voices here.

Seconded.

For me, that pretty much sums it up - in one sentence.
(10-16-2013, 05:43 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: I really dislike Bill Maher. He goes on and on and has no idea what he's talking about. His confusion of "redemption" and salvation" is par for the course. He's one of those people that makes it very hard for me to be charitable. He's my personal test LOL
He's a good satirist, and any good satirist tries to present the truth. Here, e.g., he defends Catholics against Muslims; see at least the first ~2 min. of this:
(10-16-2013, 05:43 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Anyway, so basically what we have in that video are a bunch of know-nothing journalists
When it comes to the Catholic Church, the MSM surprisingly does a very good job; they're a sort of "devil's advocate."
(10-16-2013, 05:43 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: telling us what the Pope believes, not understanding infallibility, not knowing the difference between redemption and salvation, etc. -- and they're wrong.
Did you hear @10:06? "To be clear, the Church does not call for a change of Church teaching on these hot-button issues…"
It's really only the MSM fringe groups that are claiming things like: the Church changed her doctrine, etc.
(10-17-2013, 01:15 PM)Geremia Wrote:
(10-16-2013, 05:43 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: I really dislike Bill Maher. He goes on and on and has no idea what he's talking about. His confusion of "redemption" and salvation" is par for the course. He's one of those people that makes it very hard for me to be charitable. He's my personal test LOL
He's a good satirist, and any good satirist tries to present the truth. Here, e.g., he defends Catholics against Muslims; see at least the first ~2 min. of this:
(10-16-2013, 05:43 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Anyway, so basically what we have in that video are a bunch of know-nothing journalists
When it comes to the Catholic Church, the MSM surprisingly does a very good job; they're a sort of "devil's advocate."
(10-16-2013, 05:43 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: telling us what the Pope believes, not understanding infallibility, not knowing the difference between redemption and salvation, etc. -- and they're wrong.
Did you hear @10:06? "To be clear, the Church does not call for a change of Church teaching on these hot-button issues…"
It's really only the MSM fringe groups that are claiming things like: the Church changed her doctrine, etc.

Geremia, your brain seems to be running a bit hot. You might need to relax a bit. Go for a long walk out under the open sky. Enjoy God's creation a bit. Feel the sun on your face. Take a deep breath. Maybe listen to a Mozart piano concerto when you get home. The Church survived Paul VI and many worse Popes besides. Don't pay so much attention to the MSM unless you work in it. (I feel for you if you do.) Love God and fight and pray for His Church. Don't hyperventilate because of Bill Maher or anything that may have crawled out of his mouth.
(10-17-2013, 04:42 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: Geremia, your brain seems to be running a bit hot. You might need to relax a bit. Go for a long walk out under the open sky. Enjoy God's creation a bit. Feel the sun on your face. Take a deep breath. Maybe listen to a Mozart piano concerto when you get home. The Church survived Paul VI and many worse Popes besides. Don't pay so much attention to the MSM unless you work in it. (I feel for you if you do.) Love God and fight and pray for His Church. Don't hyperventilate because of Bill Maher or anything that may have crawled out of his mouth.
I'm not sure how what I wrote that makes you think the MSM is stressing me out. I was defending the MSM when it comes to reporting on the Church. (And, no, I don't work in the MSM.) They played a key role in exposing and bringing justice to the ephebophile priest crisis, and they are now playing a key role in exposing Pope Francis's material heresies. This is very important because, as St. Thomas wrote, "if the faith were endangered, a subject ought to rebuke his prelate even publicly," charitably, of course. See this.