a Hypothetical, based on absolute guidlines
For the hypothetical, You are a priest.

one day, a guy walks up, starts talking, seems sincere. says to the effect of "I want to be saved or go to heaven or be baptized".

there is a water fountain, or bottled water, or simply- water is available to you at that particular time and space.

bearing in mind that outside of the extraordinary circumstances that would be considered exceptions, and that baptism is an absolute requirement for salvation.

what do you do?
do you make him walk in hell so to speak until a later date?
or do you basically, baptize him then and there?

remember, exceptions are not the rules.

-------------now
same example, and set up but  does your knowledge and experience tell you that a FSSP, SSPX, ICK, NO, priest might all have different responses?  would the FSSP say- well lets do it here and now, and an ICK say "you must risk going to hell for a little while longer while we, while I _____________"?

ill answer first.

I would baptize pretty much then and there.

reading the catechism, and other official interpretations seems clear enough to me.

then catechesis would begin.
(10-27-2013, 07:50 PM)medievalman86 Wrote: ill answer first.

I would baptize pretty much then and there.

reading the catechism, and other official interpretations seems clear enough to me.

then catechesis would begin.

Yes, I would do this too.  I had to wait a year between asking my local NO Catholic parish to be baptized and actually getting baptized and I often worried what would happen if I were to die before Easter Vigil.
Well say the man were to die before being baptized, wouldn't he still be saved because he desired baptism?
(10-29-2013, 09:47 PM)indymedic20 Wrote: Well say the man were to die before being baptized, wouldn't he still be saved because he desired baptism?

sorry, that is out side of the preferred "range" of this question. 

no reason to suspect he is or isnt going to die soon. but at that moment he asks to be baptized, he is capable of being baptized then and there.

for the baptism of desire, there is already a decent thread on that topic  here:

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...680.0.html

so again, no BoD here. 

but the retort to your question is- why would  delaying baptism when he is asking for it, and you can do it right then and there-even occur to anyone??  (after all, receiving communion is the RIGHT of the communicant, unless the priest can positively prove that said person is like- bonnie and clyde or something- last i heard)
This reminds me of what happened with Edith Stein. She confronted a priest and asked for baptism. The priest replied that she would have to be instructed in the faith. Edith Stein asked him to examine her on her knowledge of what the Church teaches.
(11-02-2013, 12:39 AM)Poche Wrote: This reminds me of what happened with Edith Stein. She confronted a priest and asked for baptism. The priest replied that she would have to be instructed in the faith. Edith Stein asked him to examine her on her knowledge of what the Church teaches.

With the way some Baby Boom generation priests are, sometimes it's the recent converts who know more about what the Church teaches
but how much do you actually need to know about the faith- just to be saved aka baptized (not trying to use protestant speak here).

nicean creed? apostles creed?

i mean it is clear that AFTER baptism he would be catechized, or encouraged to be, so that he doesnt fall away from the faith but..

if you opt that he needs to go through RCIA before he can be saved- aka baptism, support from church law/dogma for your claim is_____?
put it this way, my unchurched friend, who hasnt spent more than an hour in church in 16 years, much less any bible reading beyond a few chapters of "John"  beileves the nicean creed.
(11-02-2013, 10:43 AM)medievalman86 Wrote: put it this way, my unchurched friend, who hasnt spent more than an hour in church in 16 years, much less any bible reading beyond a few chapters of "John"  beileves the nicean creed.

If he truly believes the Nicene creed, he will want to act on those beliefs and come to Mass, no?