Elvis Presley and the Rosary
(10-30-2013, 03:52 PM)Tim Wrote: Just a little aside. I worked with a guy that was a Harlan of white lightening Harlans of Kentucky. These are the guys that ran white squeezins in the near south through drier counties.

His mom, very tired of living like a member of Kentucky organized crime moved with her son to southern Illinois.  They were both Kentucky and Lutherans. It blew my mind as I figured all of Kentucky for Baptists.

tim

Squeezins! Now ain't that a blast from the past!

(10-30-2013, 03:52 PM)Tim Wrote: Just a little aside. I worked with a guy that was a Harlan of white lightening Harlans of Kentucky. These are the guys that ran white squeezins in the near south through drier counties. His mom, very tired of living like a member of Kentucky organized crime moved with her son to southern Illinois.  They were both Kentucky and Lutherans. It blew my mind as I figured all of Kentucky for Baptists. tim

Kentucky has a substantial Catholic population around the Louisville/Bardstown area.  Many Catholics migrated there from Maryland in the late 18th century.
(10-30-2013, 03:17 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Yeah! What about it? I want the story!

I hope there's nothing too freaky-deaky in there...  I love Elvis. The young Elvis just had it. He was something else (and the Jordanaires were too kewl!). He was, from everything I've heard, a very sweet, kind, and generous man. I pray he's in Heaven, or at least in Purgatory, being purified.

Cool new avatar, Vox. I remember reading the book Black Elk Speaks and really enjoying it, but I hadn't realized he was Catholic until today.
As a non "trufan", thanks for the original post.  I had no idea.
I remember seeing a clip where a reporter asked Elvis what he thought about being the "King." Elvis said, "there is only one king that I recognize and that is Jesus." May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace. amen.
:pray: :pray: :pray:
(10-30-2013, 10:11 PM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote: As a non "trufan", thanks for the original post.  I had no idea.

I'm not a trufan either.  My mom is, though, so I know a fair amount of Elvis trivia.
Liked his early stuff a lot, I was a kid, and he hit that note for me. Later on I didn't much care. But this is a revelation, and I like it.  It makes me wonder how a guy objectively in serious trouble could also be like what this is saying about him. I remember this adage concerning a priest and a sinner.  A priest spends his life looking for Christ and never sees Him in this world, where the sinner sees Him always as Christ is seeking him.

tim
(10-30-2013, 03:17 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Yeah! What about it? I want the story!

I hope there's nothing too freaky-deaky in there...  I love Elvis. The young Elvis just had it. He was something else (and the Jordanaires were too kewl!). He was, from everything I've heard, a very sweet, kind, and generous man. I pray he's in Heaven, or at least in Purgatory, being purified.

I can't find the website now!  I'm really frustrated.  I think it was on angelfire, and it had tons of information about aliens being demons.  Maybe someone here would remember the site.
I must bump this! For indeed I believe in the resurrection of the thread!
(12-21-2015, 02:21 AM)Neopelagianus Wrote: I must bump this! For indeed I believe in the resurrection of the thread!

Thank for small resurrection mirical Neopelagianus!!! You make Jar Jar Binks heart sing. Jar Jar Binks No remember this! Jar Jar Binks so Happy Elvis sing song our Lady! Jar Jar Binks feel like dorithy in Wizard OZ! Jar Jar BinKs Remember Now! Look there Tim!!! Jar Jar Binks Love Timouse!!! Timouse out purgatory now!!! He Saint in Heaven!!! All say Hi Timouse!!! Jar Jar binks  happy Tim see us now!!! and Poche Poche he like living fisheater saint!! DJR is that you j michal??? And beautiful Clare Brigid she here too!!! Jar Jar binks see Tracy!!! Jar Jar binks VERY VERY VERY NOW happy to Neopelagianus!!! Jar jar feel like Dancing!!! Jar Jar binks NOW dancing now Jar Jar Binks wants to danc night away and make new day come now!!!  :dancingjewishman :dancingjewishman :dancingjewishman