Pope Francis's New Ferula
Horrid. And, like B16 who used the stema with the tiara on it once out of respect for those who made it for him, lets home Francis adopts the same attitude to this monstrosity.
Good grief!
I think the ferula looks awful.  It is the epitome of modern art.  I liked Benedict's better, even if it wasn't a crucifix.
I find it difficult to believe the 'Poverello' Pope will stick with this ferula.  It's entirely too blingy for him.

If he does, that would be one more thing to add to the list of contradictions about him.
I really don't care for Resurexafixes. I think it enables many to gloss over Christ's Passion. My favorite Crucifix is the one from the movie "Padre Pio Miracle Man". The torment on Christ' Face is palpable. "Transport yourself to Calvary. Keep your mind focused on the mystery that is unfolding before your eyes." - Padre Pio
Ressurecifixs are a novelty that indeed gloss over the crucifixion. His is blingy but in an ugly sort of way, like it's the shoddy art project from some high schoolers metal shop class.you can tell whoever made it has above average skill with metal but the results are ugly and unworthy of our Lord or  the dignity of the papacy.
Taking a closer look at the expression on Francis' face in the first photo in the OP, I have to wonder if he has the same thoughts as most of us in this thread.
(11-03-2013, 11:23 AM)christulsa Wrote: Taking a closer look at the expression on Francis' face in the first photo in the OP, I have to wonder if he has the same thoughts as most of us in this thread.

I have to agree...if you cover the ferula he could be looking at a food he's not sure about.  It looks sort of like the immediate reaction before politeness takes over.

I think the ferula is awful looking...reminds me of the sculpture in the papal audience hall.
I hadn't seen the expression on his face: "Uhm...wtf is this and how do I use it?"  :LOL: