Living in the City
The real problem with "immigration" is we n longer have small businesses. This is where immigrants are absorbed and learn and then prosper. We ruined the American economy, the one which won WWII, and raised all of us from the depression to approaching the middle class, with Nixon taking us off silver. Then the near gillions of regulations and congressional social engineering at the behest of the Banks, has left us an entrepreneur economy funded by I bankers on Wall Street.

I'm frightened with immigration reform. I see it opening the flood gates to eastern pagans and mohammedans as long as they are college educated. America once was cohesive in the belief the 10 commandments are the bedrock of the law, but with these folks that is out the door. The last thing we need is some pagan scientist getting an entrepreneurial loan, neither having any morals, and working their money magic together.

The economy and immigration are linked, and morals which tell us how to handle it are gone. Without God all things are possible for the Progressives.

tim
(11-09-2013, 09:46 PM)bsroufek Wrote: I grew up on an Indiana farm, then moved to the Los Angeles, CA area.  I met a close friend in college in LA.
Several years later, my family and I moved back to a rural area of NW Florida.

My friend in LA decided to come and visit me shortly afterwards, whereupon we were to drive from NW Florida
to Boca Raton, Florida near Miami (a big, rich city).

During the drive, he was completely silent for a long time, just staring out the window.  Since I hadn't seen him
in quite a while and wondered what was up, I finally asked him, "What are you looking at?"

He said he hadn't seen so many trees before in his life, basically saying that he hadn't been out of Los Angeles
in his whole life and was discovering nature for the first time!

Myself, I have come to the conclusion that living rurally is best, so long as you're within reasonable driving distance
of a decent sized city for the things you need there.

Or else, realistically speaking, since there will always be towns, at least keep the towns small enough that people can escape from them enough to keep in touch with the real, natural world.
Quote:71. The new Jerusalem, the holy city (cf. Rev 21:2-4), is the goal towards which all of humanity is moving. It is curious that God’s revelation tells us that the fullness of humanity and of history is realized in a city. We need to look at our cities with a contemplative gaze, a gaze of faith which sees God dwelling in their homes, in their streets and squares. God’s presence accompanies the sincere efforts of individuals and groups to find encouragement and meaning in their lives. He dwells among them, fostering solidarity, fraternity, and the desire for goodness, truth and justice. This presence must not be contrived but found, uncovered. God does not hide himself from those who seek him with a sincere heart, even though they do so tentatively, in a vague and haphazard manner.

Pope Francis, Evangelii Gaudium