Weightlifting and the cult of the body
There is nothing inherently wrong with lifting weights. America is plagued with land whales and bodies moulded by gluttony and sloth. I'd much prefer a society of Greek gods instead of the third circle of hell. Working out is great for your physical and mental well being. It makes you more confident, makes you "feel strong" and powerful, and is great for your health if you don't abuse drugs and eat properly. I've seen it help people with opiate addictions, social anxieties, cancer, and autistic self stimulation.

Quote:those bodybuilders do nothing but stack on lots of useless muscle; they can't do physical labor for crap.

Not true in some cases. Let me quote Arnold:

Quote:The truth is that not all bodybuilders are strong, especially those who have done most of their training with weight machines. But years of power lifting and working with free weights had given me massive biceps and shoulders and back muscles and thighs. I simply looked bigger and stronger than the rest”
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Total Recall

Quote:American magazines wrote about the split routine as if it were my secret: it became the big thing. Everybody thought that was how I’d grown as much as I had in such a short time ….. From the beginning, I was a believer in the basic movements, because that was Reg Park’s preference. I was doing heavy squats, heavy bench presses, and this provided some of the foundation work of my body, which has always made me appear strong. Certain bodybuilders lack that look. They have good bodies but they don’t appear powerful. The reason is inadequate foundation training. Reg Park had been a powerlifter; he had done squats with 600 pounds, bench presses with 500 pounds and dead lifts of over 700 pounds. I saw no reason why I shouldn’t continue in the same groove.

- Arnold Schwarzenegger, The Education of a Bodybuilder

Reg Park trained before the inventions of steroids btw.

Body builders like Arnold and Franco Colombo were strong before they became body builders because they were powerlifters. Arnold built muscle mass by getting strong and then later chiseled it down with split routine. Franco could deadlift 755lbs, squat 655lbs, and bench 525lbs.

If your training with machines, using drugs, etc. you're gonna be weak. All that muscle will be white muscle mass. It may look good but it isn't usable. Strength training programs will get you big and strong. A lot of programs now are based off the Texas Method, stuff like Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, and so on.

ArturoOrtiz,

If you're starting out you must do a 5x5 routine. Don't go for any of that 5 day split rubbish. 5 day splits are only for pro body builders that are sculpting their bodies. I'd recommend buying a squat rack or a bench if you don't have room. Go for a 5x5 AxBxAxxBxAxBxx routine based on compound lifts. If you don't know what I'm talking about read http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-b...g-program/
and read http://stronglifts.com/how-to-build-muscle-mass-guide/

I know lots of meat heads. They're just like any other group of people. I've spoken with guys twice my size that say they "feel small" even though they're really big, I know plenty of guys who roid and do so because, and they admit it, they're vain. On the other hand I know people who do it as a sport, do it to stay healthy, and some who are regular humble and pious Catholics. What matters most is what's in your mind (and soul) and not your body. People with deep hidden psychological issues will not escape it them through body building, they will always "feel small". People who are psychologically healthy but are mentally weak because of their weak bodies will be strengthened and feel and think better.

How Arnold made Fitness popular (skip to 15mins)
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee53wTc66so?t=15m4s [/video]

http://youtu.be/Ee53wTc66so?t=15m4s

Bad side of body building "The Man Whose Arms Exploded"

The documentary "Pumping Iron" is also on youtube, it's very interesting but I'm not gonna link to it. I'm pretty sure most people here are American and will go blind seeing men in speedos.  :crazy:

I believe Benedict XVI frowned upon worshiping your own body and focusing on it more than your soul. I doubt he actually objected to lifting weights or being muscular, he did approve of this statue of St. Michael the Archangel after all:

[Image: 540-Michael-01.jpg]

If anyone has any questions about body building, pilates, etc. feel free to ask.

Messages In This Thread
Weightlifting and the cult of the body - by Lando - 11-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Re: Weightlifting and the cult of the body - by Skarga - 11-17-2013, 12:18 AM