The new me: 98 pounds later
Well, i have lost 98 pounds since the end of March.  Deo gratias!

I did it through a program called intuitive eating, but I also focused on eating whole foods (versus processed foods) and trying to eat "lower" carb (as opposed to low carb).

I've used an exercise bike six mornings a week and do a bit of walking and hiking.

I started just under 330 pounds.  As of this morning, I weigh 228.6.  (I'm just a quarter inch over 6' tall.)

I don't expect to lose very much more.  However, the idea behind intuitive eating is that you eat when you're hungry, stop eating when you're satisfied or just slightly full, and let your body come to its natural weight.  At this point, I'm still losing between 1.4 and 2.5 pounds a week, which is a healthy rate.

Here I am as of a few minutes ago.

[Image: Photo+on+2013-11-16+at+10.44+#2.jpg]

Wow... NINETY-EIGHT pounds.. That's just great, Clare. Good for you!
You look great, your skin looks taut and you look fit, not dragged out and exhausted.

I need to find out about this "intuitive eating!"
(11-16-2013, 10:06 PM)triumphguy Wrote: You look great, your skin looks taut and you look fit, not dragged out and exhausted.

Thanks.

Intuitive eating has worked great for me.  Really, it has been of spiritual benefit, too.  The book is very inexpensive and by definition it's highly adaptable to people's different circumstances.

These are the ten principles of intuitive eating.
(11-16-2013, 10:17 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote:
(11-16-2013, 10:06 PM)triumphguy Wrote: You look great, your skin looks taut and you look fit, not dragged out and exhausted.

Thanks.

Intuitive eating has worked great for me.  Really, it has been of spiritual benefit, too.  The book is very inexpensive and by definition it's highly adaptable to people's different circumstances.

These are the ten principles of intuitive eating.

That is great Clare Brigid. I need to read on intuitive eating.
Is the book specifically geared for people looking to lose weight or could it benefit people with eating disorders too?

Congratulations Clare, that must have taken a lot of strength and willpower.
High five! That's awesome! Congrats!

I'm going to have to look into that intuitive eating now too, you've piqued my curiousity.
Thanks very much, guys. 
(11-16-2013, 11:21 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: Is the book specifically geared for people looking to lose weight or could it benefit people with eating disorders too?

Congratulations Clare, that must have taken a lot of strength and willpower.

Once the habits are established (within a few weeks, as St. Thomas Aquinas says it takes to establish a habit), it is not really difficult.  In fact, it is a relief to be eating in harmony with one's true appetite (and, therefore, according to God's will).

The intuitive eating approach could definitely benefit those with eating disorders.  It considers dieting itself to be a kind of eating disorder, because dieting puts one out of touch with physical hunger.  It also counsels acceptance of one's body size.

I agree with the above. Whenever I see pics of people losing weight they often look tired, and the skin sags.
98 pounds is AMAZING!!! CONGRATS CB!
I remember a friend of my mothers used to say that she had cheek bones, somewhere, and sure enough when she lost weight they appeared.
The pic above looks great.

CB, how much time do you spend on the bike each day? And how much time do you think you spend walking around town? And how many meals do you eat a day?  I know when people eliminate carbs, they do not count calories, but do you have an idea of how many calories you consume each day? Thanks. Congrats.
Thank you so much, DeoGratias.
(11-17-2013, 04:28 PM)DeoGratias72 Wrote: CB, how much time do you spend on the bike each day? And how much time do you think you spend walking around town? And how many meals do you eat a day?  I know when people eliminate carbs, they do not count calories, but do you have an idea of how many calories you consume each day? Thanks. Congrats.

I spend 55 minutes on the bike (the same one I linked to, which is inexpensive and SUPERB), six days a week.  I warm up by riding at a lower resistance for 5 minutes, after which I increase the resistance.  I spend the last 5 minutes cooling down at a lower resistance.  My heart rate gets up to about 120 beats a minute or slightly higher, which is just right.  I do this in the morning, before I eat breakfast.  Studies show that the body uses its fat stores more readily when one exercises in the morning before eating, because the glycogen stores are depleted and cannot be used by the body for quick energy.

Lately, I have been walking almost an hour, later in the day, five days a week.  But that has varied.  Sometimes, I have gone through periods where I walked 30 minutes tops throughout the day.  I opt to walk when I can.  For instance, today I walked 13 minutes to the subway to go to the traditional Mass at Holy Trinity Church in Philadelphia.  Then I walked from the subway station to the church.  It might have totaled 40 minutes both ways.  Choices like that add up.

I usually eat approximately 6 meals or more a day.  Small ones, of course.  I know from experience that I'm hungry every 2-4 hours, averaging every 3 hours.  But I don't make a rule out of that.  If I feel biological hunger, I eat,  no matter when I've last eaten.  That is one of the basic principles of intuitive eating.

I have never eliminated carbs.  I like the idea of a low carb diet, but I have found that I cannot do it.  But I try to eat in that direction.  I eat plenty of whole grains, healthy root vegetables, etc., that one would not have on a strictly low carb diet (except on maintenance).

I really do not have any idea how many calories I consume, and that is a big part of intuitive eating.  It matters, of course.  Obviously, I am in a caloric deficit, or I would not be losing weight.  But I don't need to know!  I follow my biological hunger and . . . voila!   :)  It's sort of like being a forest creature or a small child.  They just know.

I'm happy to answer any other questions.