The new me: 98 pounds later
(12-14-2013, 10:10 PM)Philomena01 Wrote: Congratulations, you are my role model.  I weigh about 305 right now and have been told to lose weight over and over, but due to issues with knee surgery and tendon issues in my legs that is easier said than done.  I need to get a bike and the one you suggested looks very nice.  Eating right for our family is a little hard right now due to finances and trying to feed 4 people.  But we are persevering and praying that the Lord will help us through this.  I am going to look on the link you posted because that sounds like the way I have tried to eat.  Less carbs and whole foods.  I hate processed foods with a passion, they make me feel so sick.  We used to eat better before we purchased our double wide last year. It's hard to go from renting for a lifetime to owning a home and property, a definite learning curve, especially with nobody to guide us on what to look out for (escrow analysis'..another story), etc.

You look wonderful. You make me believe that it is possible for me to get to a healthy weight once again.  I am miserable weighing this much.  I have been told it's a sin of gluttony and a failure of temperance on my part and that it is something I need to work on. I try but it's very difficult. 

Being overweight doesn't *necessarily* mean you are guilty of gluttony.  It definitely can.  But we live in a culture where it is very easy to become overweight because A) exercise isn't built into everyday life like it used to be and B) processed, highly refined foods are everywhere and they are affordable.  Gluttony means that you consume more food than you need, or consume foods that are too luxurious/costly in nature, taking too much pleasure in eating.  Someone who is thin, but is overly snooty or fussy about what they eat, and spends a ton of money on their  caviar and free range quail eggs while there are children out there starving could be just as guilty of gluttony.

(12-14-2013, 10:10 PM)Philomena01 Wrote: You make me believe that it is possible for me to get to a healthy weight once again.

Thank you, Philomena.  Yes, be hopeful!  The truth is, you can always start.  And you can keep starting over  There is no such thing as "blowing it" with intuitive eating.  Only learning.  If you look at the Web site and read the book, I'm sure you will come to a good understanding of it.

You know, it's actually healthier to lose weight very gradually.  With intuitive eating, you're not even supposed to weigh yourself -- or at least, not often.

After you read about it at the Web site, would you please let me know what you think and tell me if you have any questions?  I would be very glad to help.

By the way, I had knee problems several years ago myself.  It got to the point where I thought I might have to call a cab rather than walk three blocks from the trolley stop to my apartment building.  It was that bad.  This past year, I had to stop walking back and forth to work every day because I developed metatarsalgia in my left foot.  That's why I bought the exercise bike in May!
(12-14-2013, 10:40 PM)Chestertonian Wrote:
(12-14-2013, 10:10 PM)Philomena01 Wrote: Congratulations, you are my role model.  I weigh about 305 right now and have been told to lose weight over and over, but due to issues with knee surgery and tendon issues in my legs that is easier said than done.  I need to get a bike and the one you suggested looks very nice.  Eating right for our family is a little hard right now due to finances and trying to feed 4 people.  But we are persevering and praying that the Lord will help us through this.  I am going to look on the link you posted because that sounds like the way I have tried to eat.  Less carbs and whole foods.  I hate processed foods with a passion, they make me feel so sick.  We used to eat better before we purchased our double wide last year. It's hard to go from renting for a lifetime to owning a home and property, a definite learning curve, especially with nobody to guide us on what to look out for (escrow analysis'..another story), etc.

You look wonderful. You make me believe that it is possible for me to get to a healthy weight once again.  I am miserable weighing this much.  I have been told it's a sin of gluttony and a failure of temperance on my part and that it is something I need to work on. I try but it's very difficult. 

Being overweight doesn't *necessarily* mean you are guilty of gluttony.  It definitely can.  But we live in a culture where it is very easy to become overweight because A) exercise isn't built into everyday life like it used to be and B) processed, highly refined foods are everywhere and they are affordable.  Gluttony means that you consume more food than you need, or consume foods that are too luxurious/costly in nature, taking too much pleasure in eating.  Someone who is thin, but is overly snooty or fussy about what they eat, and spends a ton of money on their  caviar and free range quail eggs while there are children out there starving could be just as guilty of gluttony.

Well I do overeat at times.  But I suppose that is my crutch, instead of smoking or drinking or drugs, I use food.  Usually chocolate.  Here lately I have been making a very conscience effort to control what I put in my mouth.

Where do I get the gluttony issues from, where I go to church, sad to say.  Our one priest was pretty hard core on things like that and would read me the riot act.  I was told it was a sin of against temperance and a sin of passion.  Add to that some of the people at our church come up to me and say, gosh you are such a pretty person if you would just loose weight.  But then most of them are skinny.  I'm really glad for them that they can have lots of kids and maintain a healthy weight but it is something I have struggled with for years.  All the females in my family really.  My mom, my sister, my daughters, two sons, etc.  But then if you look back at my grandma, aunts, etc.  My doctors have told me alot of my issues are hereditary but that I need to to what I can to loose some weight and I agree.

(12-15-2013, 12:49 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote:
(12-14-2013, 10:10 PM)Philomena01 Wrote: You make me believe that it is possible for me to get to a healthy weight once again.

Thank you, Philomena.  Yes, be hopeful!  The truth is, you can always start.  And you can keep starting over  There is no such thing as "blowing it" with intuitive eating.  Only learning.  If you look at the Web site and read the book, I'm sure you will come to a good understanding of it.

You know, it's actually healthier to lose weight very gradually.  With intuitive eating, you're not even supposed to weigh yourself -- or at least, not often.

After you read about it at the Web site, would you please let me know what you think and tell me if you have any questions?  I would be very glad to help.

By the way, I had knee problems several years ago myself.  It got to the point where I thought I might have to call a cab rather than walk three blocks from the trolley stop to my apartment building.  It was that bad.  This past year, I had to stop walking back and forth to work every day because I developed metatarsalgia in my left foot.  That's why I bought the exercise bike in May!

I will look over the site in the next few days and for sure will let you know if I have any questions.  It's always nice to have somebody to talk to who understands how hard it can be.  Thanks!!!  :)
Here I am as of a few minutes ago (yes, I guess that's my favorite shirt), after losing about 113 pounds.  I would be happy to maintain this weight, but I'm going to let my weight settle wherever it does as I continue to follow the intuitive eating program.

That's half of Rafael's Disputation of the Blessed Sacrament behind me, btw.  My Christmas present to myself two years ago.  :)

[Image: Photo+on+2013-12-18+at+09.00+#2.jpg]
I have to ask and please don't take this the wrong way, but did you have any cosmetic surgery? You hardly look the age you claim.
(12-18-2013, 06:58 PM)austenbosten Wrote: I have to ask and please don't take this the wrong way, but did you have any cosmetic surgery? You hardly look the age you claim.

I was born in July 1963.  :)

I'm always told that I look younger than I am.  That is a blessing.

When I was a teenager, people thought I was older.

In my third year of law school, I roomed with three guys on Capitol Hill in DC.  One of them asked me my age, and I said I was 25 (the same as his).  He started shaking his head, "Oh man, I gotta get my act together."  (He thought I was very mature.)  :LOL:
I ended up losing about 160 pounds.

I have my high school yearbook in which there is a picture of me looking like a small whale dressed in black.

It still astounds me.
(12-19-2013, 03:46 AM)dark lancer Wrote: I ended up losing about 160 pounds.

Very good, dark lancer!  Congratulations!  I hope that you continue to take proper care of yourself, obeying the Fifth Commandment and practicing the virtue of temperance.

God bless.
I just started the Atkins Diet. So far it has helped me break my carb addiction and nearly my alcohol consumption.
(01-07-2014, 08:55 PM)Asperges me Wrote: I just started the Atkins Diet. So far it has helped me break my carb addiction and nearly my alcohol consumption.

That's great to hear!  I hope that it works well for you.  So many people have had a great experience with Atkins.

I've lost 115 pounds as of last Sunday, but I would really like to maintain this weight and not lose any more.