The Vatican's Secret Life: homosexual men in the Vatican
I think that we need to reevaluate the diocesan priesthood - hook, line and sinker. It actively promotes levels of psychological unhealthiness in the way some priests are isolated and cut off from larger ecclesial structures.
(11-21-2013, 04:23 PM)loggats Wrote: I think that we need to reevaluate the diocesan priesthood - hook, line and sinker. It actively promotes levels of psychological unhealthiness in the way some priests are isolated and cut off from larger ecclesial structures.

This is a valuable insight. As we expanded suburban wise and thinned the ranks simultaneously the so called support systems for priests as all Catholics disappeared. Even fun was lost. At the end of my street was a snooty kid and his family had money for then. He beat me up good once, when I was in first grade, and one of my pal's father patched me up, asking who did it. I spilled the beans and he said "natch" figuring the kid was like the parents snooty.

But, that family had a real nice piano and they could play and gave nice little chunks of change to the Church. Ergo when the Mrs. threw a soiree with cocktails and  the piano, many of the parish priests were johnny on the spot.  They loved it and a certain Irish priest could play and sing pretty well on a par with real singers, and into the late evening, you could hear the tinkling of glasses, and standards from the 40's and 50's  being played.

Many of the tongue waggers said perhaps Fr. X or Z was getting too close to Ms. A but how would they know they weren't there. But in the long run these priests had friends and an outlet for fun, which if you're celibate is critical. Honestly this means lady friends too. A healthy man that is a good priest can get past the sex but the need for a friend he can not.

tim
(11-21-2013, 03:41 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: 1. Call Vatican secret police and ask for the list of Vatican homosexual clergy.

2. Have each one take a polygraph asking them if they are actively homosexual.

3. The ones who pass will be retired.

4. The ones that fail will be laicized. 

Job done.

You'd have a witch hunt.

Polygraphs aren't wholly reliable, thus why the scientific community questions their validity, defendants aren't required to take them, and it's up to the court to allow it as evidence.

When I was a military police trainee, I volunteered to be a test subject for a polygrapher trainee. The test apparently revealed that I was a drug dealer. At first I thought they were practicing their interrogation skills as well (they did a lot of yelling) until I realized that they were keeping me way past the time I was supposed to leave. My military career was threatened and I ultimately had to take two more polygraphs, which I passed (with "flying colors"). After I graduated from basic training and AIT, I returned to the post to do some visiting, bumped into the head guy that did the test and he remembered me. I asked him if all that was just part of the training and he assured me that something hit on my first test. 
(11-22-2013, 05:40 AM)damooster Wrote:
(11-21-2013, 03:41 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: 1. Call Vatican secret police and ask for the list of Vatican homosexual clergy.

2. Have each one take a polygraph asking them if they are actively homosexual.

3. The ones who pass will be retired.

4. The ones that fail will be laicized. 

Job done.

You'd have a witch hunt.

Polygraphs aren't wholly reliable, thus why the scientific community questions their validity, defendants aren't required to take them, and it's up to the court to allow it as evidence.

When I was a military police trainee, I volunteered to be a test subject for a polygrapher trainee. The test apparently revealed that I was a drug dealer. At first I thought they were practicing their interrogation skills as well (they did a lot of yelling) until I realized that they were keeping me way past the time I was supposed to leave. My military career was threatened and I ultimately had to take two more polygraphs, which I passed (with "flying colors"). After I graduated from basic training and AIT, I returned to the post to do some visiting, bumped into the head guy that did the test and he remembered me. I asked him if all that was just part of the training and he assured me that something hit on my first test. 

Yeah, you're right. There really is no such thing as a lie detector test. The only reason why they have a polygraph test is because it only measures your internal reactions towards questions that you may or may not feel comfortable in answering. It's very unreliable.
Well shoot. I guess Id have to go just go ahead and retire everyone on my secret police list from Vatican service.