Entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple
Today in the Eastern Church is the beautiful Feast of the Entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple, based on the Protoevangelion of James.

Blessed Feast Day!  Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

[Image: pesentation%20ths%20theotokouFlyer.jpg]
Why is she so tiny?
(11-21-2013, 07:06 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: Why is she so tiny?

Because she is only three years old! 
That's one mature-looking 3 year old  :LOL:
(11-21-2013, 07:15 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: That's one mature-looking 3 year old  :LOL:

Well, it's Our Lady!

Seriously, they painted her with adult proportions for a definite purpose.  But she is supposed to be a child there.
She's also depicted top-left, at the Annunciation.

Beautiful icon, thanks for posting.
"Today is the prelude of God's good will and the heralding of the salvation of mankind. In the temple of God, the Virgin is presented openly, and she proclaimeth Christ unto all. To her,then, with a great voice let us cry aloud: Rejoice, O thou fulfillment of the Creator's dispensation. _Dismissal Hymn. Fourth Tone.
(11-21-2013, 07:06 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: Why is she so tiny?

It's a stylistic convention. Ancient Egyptians painted children as tiny adults as well. It's not they did not know how to paint more respresentational people. There were certain times they specifically chose not to paint that way. This is the case here. It's the same thing as a smiley face  :) It's not that I could not drawn a more realistic face if I drew a smiley face. I choose not to draw one for some reason or another.
It's also because iconography has never been about realism, for the icon portrays some sort of spiritual reality. They are windows into the next world, a world that our as yet fallen nature can only gaze on in two dimensions. They are windows pointing to a world that in our falleness we find hard to grasp but someday God willing we will.