Poll: Do you prefer "Name Brand Products" or "Store Brand Products"
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Name Brand Food VS Generic Food
I always think it is interesting how there are so many brands that are nationally recognizable, yet grocery store chains are still somewhat regional.  I have never been to any of the grocery stores you all have mentioned... not Kroger, Superstore, etc... but I have been to Wal Mart.  Here we have Foodtown, Food Emporium, C-town, Key Market, kosher markets, bodegas and some fancy gourmet grocery stores.
Jewel Tea Co. used to have their house brand as President's Choice so Canadian Superstore must be related. They had some very good stuff, and now Jewel has Everyday Essentials which are also good. President's choice had a shaker can of Grated American Parmesan which was decent. I liked it because for domestic cheese it was close and had stabilizers. I used it to make bread crumbs like they do in Liguria/Piedmont. Refrigerated these mixed bread crumbs would last for ever.
Veal, pork, or chicken in these crumbs are delicious, and a quick pan gravy made with reconstituted dried mushrooms is excellent.
tim
(11-25-2013, 09:59 AM)Tim Wrote: Jewel Tea Co. used to have their house brand as President's Choice so Canadian Superstore must be related. They had some very good stuff, and now Jewel has Everyday Essentials which are also good.

Loblaw's (Superstore) also carries Everyday Essentials, but it's not for food. It's textiles, small appliances, etc.

(A Real Canadian Superstore is what we had before Super Wal-Mart came. About 1/2 the store is groceries, and the other 1/2 is "stuff".)
Do you guys know here in the US, the original supermarket chains were all Tea Traders. Jewel was Jewel Tea, A&P was Atlantic Pacific Tea, National was National Tea, and had an offshoot discount food store Del Farm. I don't think Kroger was as they are from Cincinnati.

tim
I go with Aldi-brand stuff; Great Value brand on occasion. Whatever's cheapest for my pocket-book and doesn't taste like crappola.
I like Big Lots.  You can all kinds of stuff, from pricey foods to name brands at dirt cheap prices.  Just have to watch the sell by dates.  Stuff that costs $4 can at WholeFoods I get for $1.  Especially the nicer spaghetti sauces.  $1 for gourmet sauce or $1 for DelMonte.  I will try both and stick with what I like.

I also like Everyday Essentials that our small local independent grocery store sells.  Especially their baked beans. 

Save-A-Lot store brand usually not too bad either.  And pretty cheap.