FSSP or ICKSP
(12-07-2013, 06:35 PM)PolishTrad Wrote: Is it true that ICKSP priests are allowed to use pre-1962 missals?

Yes, it's true.
(12-07-2013, 12:31 AM)Hypokeimenon Wrote: I am discerning a call to the priesthood, and I am looking at both the FSSP and the ICKSP. I have exposure to the Fraternity, but none with the Institute. Can anyone tell me in what ways they are different? By this, I mean besides their use of the Tridentine mass, what characterizes them? Do the priests for each group have a certain personality type? Preaching style? Spirituality? I've read the websites of both, but I was hoping to get some opinions from those who have had exposure to either of them.

I can't answer your question or help you out in that way, but I gotta ask:  are you another "FE priest-to-be" -- i.e., a man who came to Tradition because of FishEaters and is now headed off to seminary?  If so, please see this thread:  http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...220.0.html

In any case, God be with you in discerning which Fraternity to study with! That can't be an easy decision to make!

(12-07-2013, 06:48 PM)RedCaves Wrote:
(12-07-2013, 06:35 PM)PolishTrad Wrote: Is it true that ICKSP priests are allowed to use pre-1962 missals?

Yes, it's true.
When and why may they celebrate masses according to these rubrics and how is it connected with Summorum Pontificum?
(12-07-2013, 07:53 PM)PolishTrad Wrote:
(12-07-2013, 06:48 PM)RedCaves Wrote:

Yes, it's true.
When and why may they celebrate masses according to these rubrics and how is it connected with Summorum Pontificum?

I know a close friend who is very attached to the Institute who has told me that it is one of their charisms (AKA special permissions from Rome). From what I know, they are allowed to celebrate it at any time, although the Institute Oratory that I used to go to back home uses the post-1955 Holy Week changes.

I can't answer the rest of your questions more specifically because I don't know.

I wish I could give you proof of my words because I hate when people say things without citing their sources.

If I do find proof, I'll post it as soon as possible.
(12-07-2013, 05:57 PM)Hakimaki Wrote:
(12-07-2013, 07:29 AM)Cetil Wrote:
(12-07-2013, 12:31 AM)Hypokeimenon Wrote: I am discerning a call to the priesthood, and I am looking at both the FSSP and the ICKSP. I have exposure to the Fraternity, but none with the Institute. Can anyone tell me in what ways they are different? By this, I mean besides their use of the Tridentine mass, what characterizes them? Do the priests for each group have a certain personality type? Preaching style? Spirituality? I've read the websites of both, but I was hoping to get some opinions from those who have had exposure to either of them.

I don't know if this helps but I have met Canon Jean Marie-Moreau of the ICKSP, he is a wonderful priest, very down to earth and humble. If the rest of the ICKSP is like him they must be in great shape.

C.

I second that, Canon Moreau is truly wonderful.  I find him "father"-like in that he really cares about your spiritual and prayer life.  He reminds you to pray your rosary daily in a kind stern manner the way my parents did with my homework as a child.

My home parish is with the Institute but I have frequented a few FSSP parishes.  I find ICKSP priests more "mature" if I may call it in their formation and attitude.  Even their Latin sounded more fluid and fluent.  By no means take that as a negative judgement, just a observation made from a limted sample pool of priests.  My vote is for the Institute.

We are blessed with MANY good priests here in NJ, as I m sure you would agree. I for one am thankful.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
There is an Insitute priest here in New York City but I dont think he is staffed here.  I met him once and he was French and very nice if not a bit aloof.  Maybe that is a French thing.  Or maybe I am just a weirdo =)  I have heard that to join them you need to learn French whereas the seminary for the FSSP is in Nebraska so you wouldn't have to deal with that.

I wish we could have either an FSSP or ICKSP parish here in Brooklyn.  But I have a slight preference for Christ the King because they have those cool blue outfits.
I like to think of it in terms of the military.  The Institute are the "gentleman soldiers", the aristocrats born into military service.  The FSSP are the common man that worked his way up the ranks.  No competition, no superiority, just different styles and a fraternal bond of service.  :grin:
After reading this, I think I prefer the ICRSS over the FSSP. Not that there's anything wrong with the FSSP, to the contrary. But if I had to actually choose, I'd say ICRSS over FSSP.

Don't forget about the SSPX.  They are also really good priest, very similar to the FSSP.  Never met a ICKSP, but have heard great things about them. 

Thank you for considering becoming a priest.  Who knows, some day you might be hearing my confessions.  I feel sorry for you already.  :grin: 
(12-08-2013, 11:17 AM)SpiderDweeb Wrote:

Don't forget about the SSPX.  They are also really good priest, very similar to the FSSP.  Never met a ICKSP, but have heard great things about them. 

Thank you for considering becoming a priest.  Who knows, some day you might be hearing my confessions.  I feel sorry for you already.  :grin: 

The SSPX won't even talk to anyone about vocations unless they attend their chapels.