Confession
(12-19-2013, 04:43 PM)maldon Wrote: I am grateful when priests do not talk in confession. Too much advice or psychobabble about things that are simply SINS. You know? Like, I sinned. So I am here to say I am sorry. The normal response we ask of people is that they forgive us. That's it. When I see a child say sorry to a parent  for something, only to be given a long lecture, I always think it is no surprise people don't like saying they are sorry.

The priest I know that says nothing has tons of penitents. And the TLM priest I know who gives long lectures has zip.

I imagine there are differnet types of penitents, because of our personalities, gender, etc. Probably priests should apply different strokes to their different penitents

I agree with you.....There is one priest who I used to use at one time after he was first ordained has long winded discussions with his penitents and his average confession takes 10 minutes plus and usual confession times are 1/2 hour long well do the math if your number 4 + in line.....I think if you seek advice in the confessional then i suggest making an appointment. Personally when I go in I know my faults and whats needed to correct them, I want absolution and maybe a snippet of spiritual advice. The priest I was referring to earlier actually used my confession time to talk me into considering to become a priest, It wasn't exactly the time and place for me and I haven't been back since to him. I always feel good after confession with a TLM priest who says it all in Latin then gives me my penance and were done.
The parish I grew up in, confession was a choice of old school, gruff pastor of the church or the newer associates who were young, doing face to face confessions.  I almost always went to the gruff old man.  His line was always the shortest cause most people were afraid of him. But he really wasn't that bad, you confessed, he asked why you did it, gave some advice on how to avoid doing it again, absolution and off you went.  That is what I find acceptable.  I don't need a 1/2 hour lecture in the confessional but I also don't need to feel like I should be a speed reader rattling off sins at the speed of light either.  There has to be a happy medium. 

If you go to confession and keep confessing the same sins, how is that improving anything?  So some advice on how to avoid those sins I feel is profitable.  If you receive no advice and each time you go repeat the same sins over and over, that is not good.  We had one priest who refused absolution if you did this.  He said that you did not have true contrition and firm purpose of amendment if you kept repeating the same sin. 

If I have something I need to talk to our priest about I will make an appointment and do it outside the regular confession times and take care of it then.  Having stood in the hour long lines I don't expect others to stand there forever either. 
(12-26-2013, 11:21 AM)Philomena01 Wrote: If you go to confession and keep confessing the same sins, how is that improving anything? 

In response to this concern, I once heard a priest say, "Do you really want new sins?"
This is the only thing I am eager to hear the priest say:

God the father of mercies through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins through the ministry of the church. May God grant you pardon and peace and I absolve you from all of your sins in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.
(12-26-2013, 11:21 AM)Philomena01 Wrote: The parish I grew up in, confession was a choice of old school, gruff pastor of the church or the newer associates who were young, doing face to face confessions.  I almost always went to the gruff old man.  His line was always the shortest cause most people were afraid of him. But he really wasn't that bad, you confessed, he asked why you did it, gave some advice on how to avoid doing it again, absolution and off you went.  That is what I find acceptable.  I don't need a 1/2 hour lecture in the confessional but I also don't need to feel like I should be a speed reader rattling off sins at the speed of light either.  There has to be a happy medium. 

If you go to confession and keep confessing the same sins, how is that improving anything?  So some advice on how to avoid those sins I feel is profitable.  If you receive no advice and each time you go repeat the same sins over and over, that is not good.  We had one priest who refused absolution if you did this.  He said that you did not have true contrition and firm purpose of amendment if you kept repeating the same sin. 

If I have something I need to talk to our priest about I will make an appointment and do it outside the regular confession times and take care of it then.  Having stood in the hour long lines I don't expect others to stand there forever either. 
I agree with the idea of a happy medium. One of the big advantages of Confession is supposed to involve getting advice on how to deal with the root problem with the sins confessed.