Wrestling?
Gracie jiu-jitsu here.

Brutal, especially since I regularly roll with dudes 10 - 15 years younger than I and with dudes 30 - 60 pounds heavier than I. However, I have never had more fun with a sport--unless you consider love a sport.
both my boys have been wrestling since they're 5 years old.... one is excellent and has placed in states 2 years in a row... the other is just so-so, but loves the sport....  its nice to have them participate in a sport where nobody can complain that the coach doesn't play them enough, it was someone elses fault that they lost, etc.... its them and their abilities for 3 minutes with no one to blame but themselves if they lose...  of course, maintaining their weight is a nightmare and that responsibility falls in my lap.
That's great! tell ur kid's if they work hard they might be great one day.  One is good already.  The other can be too
Its getting tricky now, b/c they're allowing girls to wrestle on the middle school teams... 6 7 and 8 graders... so the boys naturally dont want to lose to a girl, but htey also don't want to put some of the moves (like a high crotch) on a girl.. they're not sure where to put their hands... and some of the girls are really good... fortunately, my sons are both heavier weights... not too many heavy girls wrestling  - more like the gymnast bodies
(01-13-2014, 09:45 PM)catholicschoolmom Wrote: Its getting tricky now, b/c they're allowing girls to wrestle on the middle school teams... 6 7 and 8 graders... so the boys naturally dont want to lose to a girl, but htey also don't want to put some of the moves (like a high crotch) on a girl.. they're not sure where to put their hands... and some of the girls are really good... fortunately, my sons are both heavier weights... not too many heavy girls wrestling  - more like the gymnast bodies

For that reason and that reason alone I'd walk off the team and submit that as my reason to the coach, superintendent, and school board. Then I'd get my friends together and organize my own wrestling tournaments and teams my way. I love it how feminists put out campaigns like "She Fears You" (http://thefire.org/case/841.html) and then expects boys to wrestle with girls in the name of equality.
I practice MMA, so there's grappling in there.  Yeah, we know the close contact is a little awkward at times, but you get over it fast, esp. because its a fun combat sport.
(01-15-2014, 12:37 PM)drummerboy Wrote: I practice MMA, so there's grappling in there.  Yeah, we know the close contact is a little awkward at times, but you get over it fast, esp. because its a fun combat sport.

As long as you don't make eye contact, right...?

I read ya. At first, being that close to another man in that way is a little unnerving, but as soon you get choked or caught in an arm bar or a triangle, all prissiness falls away, and you start sniffing for blood.
(01-15-2014, 12:55 PM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote:
(01-15-2014, 12:37 PM)drummerboy Wrote: I practice MMA, so there's grappling in there.  Yeah, we know the close contact is a little awkward at times, but you get over it fast, esp. because its a fun combat sport.

As long as you don't make eye contact, right...?

I read ya. At first, being that close to another man in that way is a little unnerving, but as soon you get choked or caught in an arm bar or a triangle, all prissiness falls away, and you start sniffing for blood.

haha! Yeah, no eye contact bro!  In my case I got locked in a leg scissors and the guy squeezed the crap out of my chest until I made this wimpy "uh" sound lol!  It was all good though, the guy does it as a joke for newbs.