88% Approval Rating For Pope Francis
"If the world hate you, know ye, that it hath hated me before you.  If you had been of the world, the world would love its own: but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you" (St. John, xv:18f.).
(12-25-2013, 05:23 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: "If the world hate you, know ye, that it hath hated me before you.  If you had been of the world, the world would love its own: but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you" (St. John, xv:18f.).

Scripture says it all. If the world loves you, you have a huge problem. The Pope really hasn't changed any doctrine either. His perception is liberal, but solidly conservative when it comes to doctrine? I think liberals glossed over the parts they hate in his letter.
......my feeling if anything in this world approves of you its not necessarily a good thing.....it bothers me when I see how much the secularists like him.....they only like him because they feel he will bend on church teachings. I'm old school....I think a priest whose congregation doesn't like him is doing his job.
(12-26-2013, 07:10 AM)John64 Wrote: ......my feeling if anything in this world approves of you its not necessarily a good thing.....it bothers me when I see how much the secularists like him.....they only like him because they feel he will bend on church teachings. I'm old school....I think a priest whose congregation doesn't like him is doing his job.

me too
(12-26-2013, 07:10 AM)John64 Wrote: ......my feeling if anything in this world approves of you its not necessarily a good thing.....it bothers me when I see how much the secularists like him.....they only like him because they feel he will bend on church teachings. I'm old school....I think a priest whose congregation doesn't like him is doing his job.

I get what you mean but I would simply add that not everything action that is liked by people is neccesariky a bad thing. People could legitamitely like a good action that someone does. Fulton Sheen was liked by many people for his approach of evangelizing. It could also be the other way around.

I think it depends on why the action is liked or hated.

[16] As free, and not as making liberty a cloak for malice, but as the servants of God. [17] Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king. [18] Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward. [19] For this is thankworthy, if for conscience towards God, a man endure sorrows, suffering wrongfully. [20] For what glory is it, if committing sin, and being buffeted for it, you endure? But if doing well you suffer patiently; this is thankworthy before God.

I think the above passage is saying that it is the unjust hate for the things of Christ we ought to suffer

(12-24-2013, 06:57 PM)Asperges me Wrote: I think the pope is more worried about feeding the poor than keeping souls out of hell.

The way we spend our temporal life (feeding the poor, clothing the naked, or the failure to do such) has everything to do with where we'll spend eternity. See Matthew 25.
(12-27-2013, 03:13 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(12-24-2013, 06:57 PM)Asperges me Wrote: I think the pope is more worried about feeding the poor than keeping souls out of hell.

The way we spend our temporal life (feeding the poor, clothing the naked, or the failure to do such) has everything to do with where we'll spend eternity. See Matthew 25.

I realize that. You can do all of Matthew 25 and still refuse to believe in God and you will spend eternity in Hell.  Humanism by itself is worthless.

You can do all of Matthew 25 and die with unforgiven mortal sin and still end up in Hell.
http://triregnum.blogspot.com/2013/10/op...-from.html