A pleasant surprise
Due to my health and transportation I'm sort of stuck in NO land. Earlier this evening I went to the Vigil Mass at the local chapel of the Parish in which I live (it used to be a Parish Church, but the Bishop combined three Parishes into one 'super-Parish' and kept all three Churches open!). It was a reverent Mass, 'traditional' Christmas Carols, etc. At the end, Father announced that Wednesday is a Holy Day of Obligation. No surprise there, I suppose, but he went on to say that attendance at Mass was obligatory, that missing Mass on a Holy Day was a sin and if you did not attend Holy Mass on Wednesday, you would be committing a serious sin for which you would 'have to answer to God' (his words)!

Haven't heard anything like that from an NO pulpit in years and years!
(12-29-2013, 02:41 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: Haven't heard anything like that from an NO pulpit in years and years!

Would that be because you usually went to a TLM anyway?

Even if a NO priest would want to say something like that publicly, I think in some cases they just don't want to hurt the Sunday collection.  You could privately ask a NO priest about the consequences of skipping a holy day Mass and he'll most likely say it's a mortal sin.
(12-29-2013, 02:46 AM)dark lancer Wrote:
(12-29-2013, 02:41 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: Haven't heard anything like that from an NO pulpit in years and years!

Would that be because you usually went to a TLM anyway?

Even if a NO priest would want to say something like that publicly, I think in some cases they just don't want to hurt the Sunday collection.  You could privately ask a NO priest about the consequences of skipping a holy day Mass and he'll most likely say it's a mortal sin.

No, unfortunately, for most of the last 30 years, I've lived in places with either no available TLM or one that was extremely difficult to get to, so I've attended more NO Masses than I care to count.

And I don't question that almost any NO priest would privately say that missing a Mass of Obligation is a sin. It's just that I haven't heard much talk of sin of any kind from NO pulpits over most of those 30 years.

***ETA***Oh, and in regard to the Sunday collection, mentioning sin obviously hasn't hurt in this parish. I picked up the bulletin and they publish their weekly and running collection figures. After a slow week in which they collected about $1,600 less than their budgeted figure, they're still running around $21,000 ahead of budget for the year.
It's good that a priest talks about sin. Our priest today basically said the same thing and gave a good homily on the domestic church.