Vatican Confirms Pope Has Not Abolished Sin
I initially thought this was satire.  I suppose even the Vatican has no confidence in the masses to discern truth from error anymore.

December 31st
VATICAN CITY
REUTERS

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/39-official-pop...08946.html

The Vatican felt compelled on Tuesday to deny that Pope Francis had "abolished sin", after a well-known Italian intellectual wrote that he had effectively done so through his words and gestures.

The singular exchange began on Sunday when Eugenio Scalfari, an atheist who writes opinion pieces for the left-leaning La Repubblica newspaper, published an article titled "Francis' Revolution: He has abolished sin".

Scalfari, who held a long private conversation with the pope earlier this year and wrote about it several times, concluded in the complex, treatise-like article that Francis believed sin effectively no longer existed because God's mercy and forgiveness were "eternal".

Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi told Vatican Radio that "this affirmation that the pope has abolished sin" was wrong.
"Those who really follow the pope daily know how many times he has spoken about sin and our (human) condition as sinners," Lombardi said.
It was not the first brush between the Vatican and Scalfari, who founded La Repubblica newspaper in 1976.

Last month the Vatican removed from its website the text of Scalfari's transcript of his conversation with the pope, saying parts of it were not reliable.

Scalfari said he had not used a tape recorder or taken notes when he met the pope but reconstructed the long session from memory afterwards and made additions to help the flow of the article.

(Reporting by Philip Pullella; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

Isn't it just absolutely amazing how incredibly stupid some people are? Especially those with careers in journalism? To think that anyone thought that the Holy Father "abolished sin," to think that anyone thinks he has that power or thinks he THINKS he has that power, is truly almost beyond belief. What's most horrible is the number of Catholics who get their theology from these fishwrap jokesters, like those teenagers at that high school I posted about earlier tonight who seem to think the Church is a democracy and that if they just rally and are sincere enough, then Catholic teaching just has to change.

I blame catechists/Catholic school teachers proximately (like the person I posted about a few days ago), priests and Catholic high school principals who let them get away with their lies, the Bishops who do nothing about the priests who let them get away with their lies, and Popes who appoint do-nothing Bishops. And then there are the parents of young Catholics who, presumably, know about the vile state of catechesis, but still allow their kids to be molded spiritually by folks who wouldn't know Catholic teaching if it crawled up onto their laps and laid golden eggs. There is no excuse for ANY of this. NONE. The "sheep" have been failed, and they themselves fail those they have charge of, at every turn, and nothing is done except for a handful of folks who run blogs and websites trying to fight it all, with an even smaller handful of Bishops who have a clue (you will recognize them by the smallness of the dioceses they're in charge of and the hate they get from the media).

Really, folks, WE ARE IT, barring supernatural intervention. The folks at FE and a few other trad Catholic websites and fora are the only thing outside of a few orthodox seminaries that stand in the way of complete implosion. I pray that in 2014, we triple our efforts and engage in MORE OUTREACH. I'd so love to be able to advertise FishEaters in diocesan newspapers and in parish bulletins in major American cities. I'd love to see Fishies start handing out literature at NO Masses, leaving fliers on folks' windshields, engaging in more one-on-one endeavors giving free talks to bring folks to Tradition (libraries often have meeting rooms people can use!), etc. If an article like this one from Yahoo doesn't light a fire under someone, then I can't think of anything that will. We're IT, man. We've just GOT to do MORE.

Quote:Scalfari said he had not used a tape recorder or taken notes when he met the pope but reconstructed the long session from memory afterwards and made additions to help the flow of the article.

Please pray for this person.
The very fact that the Vatican felt it necessary to issue this denial is horrifying! As I said a few days ago about a satirical article, the fact that anyone can take these things seriously shows that the Church is in dire straits. No, I'm not implying that Christ has abandoned us or that the Church has defected, just that we are undergoing chastisement.
God have mercy.  :((
(01-01-2014, 06:28 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: The very fact that the Vatican felt it necessary to issue this denial is horrifying! As I said a few days ago about a satirical article, the fact that anyone can take these things seriously shows that the Church is in dire straights. No, I'm not imply that Christ has abandoned us or that the Church has defected, just that we are undergoing chastisement.

Christ will.never abandon His Church nor will the Church ever defect. Only man can abandon the Church or defect from its teachings.
Many journalists have always had an agenda and it is a militantly secular one. My Dad told me how Douglas MacArthur's speech at the end of World War II was distorted in some news accounts. MacArthur had said : "The problem basically is theological and involves a spiritual recrudescence and improvement of human character that will synchronize with our almost matchless advances in science, art, literature and all material and cultural developments of the past two thousand years, It must be of the spirit if we are to save the flesh."

In the news accounts my Dad saw in 1945 the word theological was excised and replaced with "logical".

C.
(01-01-2014, 07:57 AM)OldMan Wrote: Christ will.never abandon His Church nor will the Church ever defect. Only man can abandon the Church or defect from its teachings.

I never said anything different. :)
If the Vatican issued statements for every situation out there they would be wasting time on people like the idiots in this video. It ain't worth it.

C.

The media are dirt bags I get that. Still I don't believe there is no way to deal with better, I know Pope Francis like informality and being off the cuff, but I really wish he would be a bit more careful or come up with some way of dealing with this, God willing he will have a Papacy lasting many years and I can't help but groan at the idea of a decade or more of weekly news reports like we have been having.