Those Aussies are so clever

I love all the aussie terms in the article! I learned a new word: hoons! [Image: jestera.gif]

Barry's not-so-easy listening for hoons

By Larissa Cummings

05jun06
Link

FED up with hoons gathering in local car parks, a council has resolved to drown out the "doof doof" and revving by piping daggy music over a loudspeaker.

For the next six months Rockdale Council in Sydney will try using Barry Manilow hits to disperse rev-heads from Cook Park Reserve at Brighton-le-Sands. The music will be played through a speaker on a nearby building.
Councillor Bill Saravinovski said that from about 10pm every Saturday and Sunday, up to 100 "hoons" gathered in the carpark to rev their engines and compare their hotted-up cars. "There are restaurants nearby and people can't park in the car park because they're intimidated by these hoons," Mr Saravinovski said. "It has been a problem for the council for a long time, so we're giving the music a go to see if it has any success." The hoons can expect to hear Manilow classics such as Copacabana, Mandy, I Write The Songs, Can't Smile Without You and Looks Like We Made It. Fellow councillor and traffic committee chairman Gary Green said the "daggy" music concept worked at Old Town Centre Plaza in Bankstown, where he managed a business. It has had mixed success elsewhere. At Blacktown it dispersed youths loitering around the railway station but Lithgow Council found that classical music piped into the main shopping strip did little to stop people hanging around. At Rockdale, the plan was to start with a mix of Barry Manilow and classical tracks, Mr Saravinovski said. "Based on reports ... daggy music is one way to make the hoons leave an area because they can't stand the music," he said. "We're hoping it works. These people don't show any respect for the law." The council also planned to lay speed humps and wheel stops in the carpark to deter hoons from doing burnouts.

Perhaps Marty can give us the definitions of the Aussie slang?