Pope Francis - Church Must Not Create "Selfish Little Monster Priests"
For most part I agree with what the Holy Father is saying. I speciailly like the first part of the article

Quote:Pope Francis has said men studying for the Roman Catholic priesthood should be properly trained or the Church could risk "creating little monsters" more concerned with their careers than serving people.

I believe that properly trained though is much more than simply how to deal and talk with people. Properly trained has a lot to do with getting read of the liberal theology of the 1980s that was found in many seminaries in the Untited States and the Liberation Theology in Latin America. Thus let us start with giving priests proper formation with good theological formation. Then can we train these priests to be fishers of men and not selfhish as Pope Francis would say.

Quote: Francis also said priests should leave their comfort zone and get out among people on the margins of society, otherwise they may turn into "abstract ideologists".
I agree with this part. This should not only be of priests but of all Catholics

Quote: Francis said men should not enter the priesthood to seek a comfortable life or to rise up the clerical career ladder.
I think that what Pope Francis is saying in this regard is that priests should focus on clerical positions or "clericalism" in that regard. Rather they should focus on being of service to people

Quote: Civilta Cattolica is the same periodical that ran a landmark interview with Francis in September in which he said the Church must shake off an obsession with teachings on abortion, contraception and homosexuality and become more merciful
Although not related to this interview this is something I may have to respectfully disagree with the Holy Father. I understand what he is trying to say, but I don't think the Church is "obsessing" with this teachings. We need to teach them or else it would be love without truth which is not really love after all.

(01-03-2014, 10:22 PM)JMartyr Wrote: I thought a priest's duty is to offer the sacraments to the people, give communion to shut-ins, teach catechism,etc.
That is true. But he should be a caring person rather than a bureaucrat.
Pope Francis to Order: "No to Novice Trade, Otherwise We Will Form Little Monsters"

“novice trade” = “the massive arrival of foreign Congregations who were opening houses in the archipelago with an eye toward recruiting vocations to be transplanted to Europe.”

What's wrong with that?
(01-04-2014, 07:14 PM)Geremia Wrote: Pope Francis to Order: "No to Novice Trade, Otherwise We Will Form Little Monsters"

“novice trade” = “the massive arrival of foreign Congregations who were opening houses in the archipelago with an eye toward recruiting vocations to be transplanted to Europe.”

What's wrong with that?

I suppose the problem is that it drains the Philippines of needed vocations.  It might also attract novices whose primary objective is to have a comfortable life in Europe.
jesus said go into the and preach the word and care for the poor Cry(
(01-04-2014, 02:56 AM)Poche Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 10:22 PM)JMartyr Wrote: I thought a priest's duty is to offer the sacraments to the people, give communion to shut-ins, teach catechism,etc.

Nothing in JMartyr's comment about "bureaucracy."  These are among the Spiritual Works of Mercy, which, in the priest's unique role, are the core of his ministerial priesthood.  They are not dispensable -- replaceable with a modern vision of social work.  For him to carry out that ministerial priesthood IS to be

Quote:a caring person

It does not make him

Quote:a bureaucrat

I have no idea what Francis is referring to by "little monsters," other than to lay down just one more enigmatic insult.  I have met a huge variety of priests in my life, from diocesan to those from various Orders.  Like other lay people, naturally I have my favorites and least favorites, but never in my most uncharitable moment could I ever conceive of calling them "monsters,"  even privately in my heart.  And "selfish?"  Some priests have been more giving than others, but that's equally true among the laity and orders of religious women.  The worst I have seen are cases of priests poorly trained to work with people (in a few cases), or even priests who may not have been suitable for the sacrifices and stresses of clerical life.  In some cases these men were lonely and/or not getting sufficient outlets for recreation and rest.  But never would I describe them as "selfish."

Each day I wake up I wonder how I could feel any more alienated from our Pope than I already feel.  But each day he continues to surprise me in ever more negative ways.
(01-05-2014, 02:53 AM)Miriam_M Wrote:
(01-04-2014, 02:56 AM)Poche Wrote:

Nothing in JMartyr's comment about "bureaucracy."   These are among the Spiritual Works of Mercy, which, in the priest's unique role, are the core of his ministerial priesthood.  They are not dispensable -- replaceable with a modern vision of social work.  For him to carry out that ministerial priesthood IS to be

Quote:a caring person

It does not make him

Quote:a bureaucrat

I have no idea what Francis is referring to by "little monsters," other than to lay down just one more enigmatic insult.  I have met a huge variety of priests in my life, from diocesan to those from various Orders.  Like other lay people, naturally I have my favorites and least favorites, but never in my most uncharitable moment could I ever conceive of calling them "monsters,"   even privately in my heart.  And "selfish?"  Some priests have been more giving than others, but that's equally true among the laity and orders of religious women.  The worst I have seen are cases of priests poorly trained to work with people (in a few cases), or even priests who may not have been suitable for the sacrifices and stresses of clerical life.  In some cases these men were lonely and/or not getting sufficient outlets for recreation and rest.  But never would I describe them as "selfish."

Each day I wake up I wonder how I could feel any more alienated from our Pope than I already feel.  But each day he continues to surprise me in ever more negative ways.

I understand what you are trying to say. Don't get discouraged though.

I think this talk by Fr. Chad Ripperger could help us all as a reminder of charity in the midst of confusion.
Some priests are nothing but politicians, I think that is what he is referring to.
(01-05-2014, 08:20 AM)Chestertonian Wrote: Some priests are nothing but politicians, I think that is what he is referring to.

Yes, but why should we always have to guess or 'think what he is referring to'?  It would be nice to have some clear speech...

I also have not ever thought of priests as little monsters. And the worst priests I have known were either homosexual or narcissistic.  Those ones were not spiritual fathers.

But the priest is indeed ordained primarily to stand in persona Christi and to administer the sacraments and to preach the Gospel and to teach the people for the saving of souls.  He is to be more than a glorified social worker. The 'poor' also means the uncatechized, the sick, the dying, etc.  It is the laity now in most cases visiting the sick and so many of the dying do not  have access to the sacraments.  Too many souls are left in sin and not even made uncomfortable to be that way.  We are on this earth to save our souls.  Yes, the love of God spills over to love of neighbor and that is important but the saving of souls is what is imperative.
The salvation of souls is not the most important thing anymore, especially in light of the notion of universal salvation that is rampant within the Church today. The priest exists to make the congregation feel good and to help build up a "civilization of love", a brotherhood of man without the Fatherhood of God. I hope all if us know priests who are excellent spiritual fathers and put the soul first, i know I do, but priests of that stripe are the exception, not the rule. How could they be when the bishops themselves rarely if ever speak of supernatural and otherworldly things? Only if priests and the faithful have a truly sacramental supernatural worldview can things be changed. Christ is too devisive, dogma and doctrine are too devisive, so now Jesus Christ is bigger than Catholicism, bigger even than Christianity. Now that everyone is saved by following whatever religion or lack of one that suits their conscience we can get down to the business of putting aside our differences and building up "the kingdom" on earth. Realty is this not so far from the attitude of many in the Church today?