Obedience question, kneeling to receive Holy Communion, etc.? What to do?
I hope someone can help me here.
I was asked the following. If you have no other option but to attend a Novus Ordo parish & you kneel for communion at the end of the line (you are the last individual) and the Priest asks you to stand up (and he has no physical impairment to give you Holy Communion while kneeling, he just dislikes doing so :(() is it wrong to just stay kneeling with your eyes closed until he gives you Holy Communion? The person who asked this, mentioned Padre Pio, and I replied that he as a Friar took a vow of obedience (when told not to celebrate the Mass) Then they mentioned, well what about Saint Bernadette, and frankly I can't remember where she had to obey something against her conscience.
So, what is the right thing to do, so we do not fall into any kind of sin, do we stay kneeling to recieve or do we obey the Priest & stand up?
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask. I appreciate any help on this sensitive topic. Thank you.
The priest cannot command one to stand, nor receive on the hand, for it is the right of the Faithful to receive in the manner of the Universal Church, which is kneeling and on the tongue.

If the priest refuses Holy Communion due to the posture of Universal reverence, he needs to be reported to the Bishop and catechized by the same.

"The people are free, even if the Bishops have chosen standing, those who want to kneel are free to kneel and no one has the right to say 'you are disobedient'" 2:47 - 3: 03
(01-14-2014, 03:51 PM)jonbhorton Wrote: The priest cannot command one to stand, nor receive on the hand, for it is the right of the Faithful to receive in the manner of the Universal Church, which is kneeling and on the tongue.

If the priest refuses Holy Communion due to the posture of Universal reverence, he needs to be reported to the Bishop and catechized by the same.

"The people are free, even if the Bishops have chosen standing, those who want to kneel are free to kneel and no one has the right to say 'you are disobedient'" 2:47 - 3: 03

Thank you so much Jon, God bless you. Now, I feel better about my reply. I thought I was out of line...
Even the GIRM says that we can kneel now.  :)
As has been said you have the right to receive kneeling and no one can stop you. I would bring that to the attention of the pastor first (he may well be ignorant) before going to the bishop. If he refuses thereafter to administer communion to you kneeling, then write a brief polite letter to the chancery.
(01-14-2014, 10:26 PM)sw85 Wrote: As has been said you have the right to receive kneeling and no one can stop you. I would bring that to the attention of the pastor first (he may well be ignorant) before going to the bishop. If he refuses thereafter to administer communion to you kneeling, then write a brief polite letter to the chancery.

That having been said, I do not think that I would want to engage in a confrontation with the priest during Mass.
(01-14-2014, 11:43 PM)spasiisochrani Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 10:26 PM)sw85 Wrote: As has been said you have the right to receive kneeling and no one can stop you. I would bring that to the attention of the pastor first (he may well be ignorant) before going to the bishop. If he refuses thereafter to administer communion to you kneeling, then write a brief polite letter to the chancery.

That having been said, I do not think that I would want to engage in a confrontation with the priest during Mass.

Certainly not during Mass! I mean before going back there. Probably best just to follow the direction of the priest in the moment, then appeal later on for just treatment.
I think the USCCB has established that in the US at the Novus Ordo no one can stop you from receiving on the tongue as opposed to the hand but it should be while standing, not kneeling. One can certainly kneel but the priest can probably pull you aside after Mass and tell you its unacceptable with no communion rail. Here one of the local priests wrote something in the bulletin about it awhile back saying that those that kneel risk tripping others that are standing and that no one was to kneel from now on but i don't think i he ever did.
The USCCB does not outrank the CDW. What His Eminence Arinze said about kneeling, stands.  :LOL:
(01-15-2014, 04:15 PM)jonbhorton Wrote: The USCCB does not outrank the CDW. What His Eminence Arinze said about kneeling, stands.  :LOL:

Now that was clever!  :tiphat: