Francis: "many times, we [priests] even offer a poisoned meal!"
(01-16-2014, 02:37 PM)Geremia Wrote: Is Francis a Donatist?

He said: "We do not give the Bread of Life to eat; we do give – in those cases - the bread of Truth! And many times, we even offer a poisoned meal!" (source)

How could a validly consecrated Host ever ever be a "a poisoned meal"?
He's talking about priests who give a bad catechesis. A bad catechesis isworse than poison.
(01-16-2014, 08:05 PM)loggats Wrote: He's just extemporizing and obviously it's being analyzed because that's what Catholic bloggers like to do.

Wrong.  This is what Catholics who care about the Pope as a teacher, Catholics who have a presumption of respect for the office, like to do.  The fact that some of us are also on the internet is irrelevant.  I have always cared about what any Pope said or says, and I should.  If you don't want to care, that's your business.

Quote:Rather than get anxious and angry why not just modulate your reception of his sermons? ...
Then you won't be shocked or scandalized by half the stuff he says.

Nobody should have to do that just because someone else can't control himself, or doesn't wish to exercise self-mastery especially someone in a position of enormous authority.  The burden is not on the faithful.  The burden is on the person with supreme authority, as it is for all of us who have subordinates under us, or even if we are parents.  People have a right to expect sensitivity & prudence from people with authority. 
(01-16-2014, 02:37 PM)Geremia Wrote: Is Francis a Donatist?

He said: "We do not give the Bread of Life to eat; we do give – in those cases - the bread of Truth! And many times, we even offer a poisoned meal!" (source)

How could a validly consecrated Host ever ever be a "a poisoned meal"?
This is taken out of context. The pope was talking about when there are scandals in the Church.
Scandals in the Church happen because there is no living relationship with God and His Word. Thus, corrupt priests, instead of giving the Bread of Life, give a poisoned meal to the holy people of God: that’s what Pope Francis affirmed in his homily Thursday morning during the Mass celebrated in the Santa Marta guesthouse.

Listen to Tracey McClure's report: 

Commenting on the day 's reading and responsorial Psalm which recount the crushing defeat of the Israelites by the Philistines, the Pope notes that the people of God at that time had forsaken the Lord . It was said that the Word of God was "uncommon" at that time . The old priest Eli was "lukewarm" and his sons "corrupt; they frightened the people and beat them with sticks." In their battle against the Philistines, the Israelites brought with them the Ark of the Covenant, but as something “magical,” "something external ." And they are defeated : the Ark is taken from them by their enemies. There is no true faith in God, in His real presence in life:

"This passage of Scripture,” the Pope says, “makes us think about what sort of relationship we have with God, with the Word of God: is it a formal relationship? Is it a distant relationship? The Word of God enters into our hearts, changes our hearts. Does it have this power or not? Is it a formal relationship? But the heart is closed to that Word! It leads us to think of the so many defeats of the Church, so many defeats of God's people simply because they do not hear the Lord, do not seek the Lord, do not allow themselves to be sought by the Lord! And then after a tragedy, the prayer, this one: ' But, Lord , what happened ? You have made ​​us the scorn of our neighbors. The scorn and derision of those around us. You have made us the laughing stock (it: favola) among nations! All the nations shake their heads about us. '"

And of the scandals in the Church, Pope Francis said:

"But are we ashamed? So many scandals that I do not want to mention individually, but all of us know...We know where they are! Scandals, some who charged a lot of money.... The shame of the Church! But are we all ashamed of those scandals, of those failings of priests, bishops, laity? Where was the Word of God in those scandals; where was the Word of God in those men and in those women? They did not have a relationship with God! They had a position in the Church, a position of power, even of comfort. But the Word of God, no! 'But, I wear a medal,' ‘I carry the Cross ' ... Yes, just as those bore the Ark! Without the living relationship with God and the Word of God! I am reminded of the words of Jesus about those for whom scandals come ... And here the scandal hit: bringing decay (it: decadenza) to the people of God, including (it: fino alla) the weakness and corruption of the priests."

Francis Pope concluded his homily, turning his thoughts to the people of God, saying:

"Poor people! We do not give the Bread of Life to eat; we do give – in those cases - the bread of Truth! And many times, we even offer a poisoned meal! ‘Awaken! Why do you sleep, Lord?' Let this be our prayer! ‘Awaken! Do not reject us forever! Why do you hide Your face? Why do You forget our affliction and oppression?' We ask the Lord that we never forget the Word of God, which is alive, so that it enters into our hearts and never to forget the holy people faithful to God who ask us to nourish and strengthen them. "

http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-francis-...is-no-true

(01-16-2014, 08:05 PM)loggats Wrote: He's just extemporizing and obviously it's being analyzed because that's what Catholic bloggers like to do. I don't think he's a Donatist (lol!) maybe he's letting himself get a bit carried away. Rather than get anxious and angry why not just modulate your reception of his sermons? Realize that he has a particular (sometimes peculiar) style, and listen accordingly. Then you won't be shocked or scandalized by half the stuff he says.

Oh but we love to be shocked and scandalized.  We love to just go on and on about it.....
(01-17-2014, 08:00 AM)lumine Wrote: Oh but we love to be shocked and scandalized.  We love to just go on and on about it.....

Make that the first person singular, not plural.  Speak for yourself.  I don't love it.  Apparently you do.

Don't want to read the threads?  Don't want to read what true traditionalists have to say?  No need to participate in an internet forum about that.
I admit I have been disturbed by the Holy Father doing MUCH name calling---even his priests, calling them "little monsters", "careerist", and "swarmy narcissistic butterflys" to name a few.  Granted, I have known a couple of swarmy or narcissistic priests but the vast majority are self giving wonderful men.

Than I thought, while I cannot use those name against priests, perhaps the Vicar can???

But even if the priest is in mortal sin, he can confect the Eucharist.  St. Francis of Assisi wrote about that even.

The 'poisoned meal' would be the whole rest of the example and message of his life.  I have known at least one homosexual priest. He cannot preach the truths of the faith or the necessity of the sacraments because they would condemn him. He hated confession and got retired priests to hear them.  He did like to decorate the church (not the tabernacle on which he would turn his back) and he liked helicopter champagne rides with his boyfriend in Vegas....he was/is poison to the faithful.  Many left his church.  But most people are so dumbed down that they just enjoy his jokes and antics and are clueless.