presentation of the lord
so feb 2nd at our church (NO) the parents are to present our children who are preparing for first communion and confirmation with their baptismal certificates  to the priest, is this an old school thing or is it a new thing, id never heard of it so was curious, thanks.
I remember doing something like that before I made my First Communion, though my mother doesn't think it was the First Communion Mass.

I had to wear a suit and walk up to the altar with a girl in a white dress, and she crowned a statue of Mary and I put a candle behind the statue.  Some guy after Mass asked if we had got married.  The other kids who made First Communion with me were in reserved pews too.
yeah its not the first communion mass, thats in may on a saturday morning, we only had two kids making theirs so the parents had to push to have them done this year so they wouldnt have to wait until next year or the year after.
Never happened in the olden days. We had to produce our Baptismal Certificate to School. My ma went to the old neighborhood and Fr. Gaetano nel Bruscho caligraphied mine up as she waited. The Sisters were very impressed. it was like an Italian version of the Book of Kells. First Communion was May in second grade, and nothing at the Presentation of Our Lord in the Temple. We were busy with the Baltimore Catechism, and one of the priests came over to teach the sacraments of confession and communion. (Just like S. Paul said.) We wore blue suits, and white shirts with royal blue ties and two toned shoes. The girls were in white dresses and veils. Now at Confirmation we were hoping it was marriage. hehehe

tim
both kids doing first communion are probably the only ones taught (by the parents ,obviously) out of the baltimore catechism, doubt the confirmation kids have ever seen one. in regular CCD they use some hippy looking books, no devils or mad faces, just happy kids in deathly bliss.
Sorry about your NO church. Our is an EF church and Feb 2 is Candlemas/Purification of the BVM. I don't follow the NO much anymore.
(01-21-2014, 03:42 PM)dark lancer Wrote: I remember doing something like that before I made my First Communion, though my mother doesn't think it was the First Communion Mass.

I had to wear a suit and walk up to the altar with a girl in a white dress, and she crowned a statue of Mary and I put a candle behind the statue.  Some guy after Mass asked if we had got married.  The other kids who made First Communion with me were in reserved pews too.

May Crowning?

The Hispanics here have their little girls presented to Mary when they're three; there's a special blessing and the the little girls give bouquets to Mary. Nothing for the boys, though, which makes me think that it's in honor of the Blessed Virgin's admission to the Temple at age three.
May crowning was big back in the day. The sisters liked to tell us boys we could have no part. The girls took to it like little ducks do water. As I recall each class room had one and then the big one in the Church. May is the month of Our Mother...

[video=youtube] [/video]

tim