The conversion of the Jews before the Second Coming
The Catechism of the Catholic Church states:

"The glorious Messiah's coming is suspended at every moment of history until his recognition by 'all Israel,' for 'a hardening has come upon part of Israel' in their 'unbelief' toward Jesus" (Rom 11:20-26; Cf. Mt 23:39). This has been the understanding ever since the Church Fathers, for instance, St. Augustine: "In connection with the last judgment, therefore, we who believe can be sure of the following truths ... the Jews will believe". One of the scriptural sources for this belief is Hosea 3:5: "Afterward the children of Israel shall return and seek the LORD their God, and David their king; and they shall come in fear to the LORD and to his goodness in the latter days." Blessed Pope Pius IX explicitly cited this passage as referring to the conversion of the Jews in the end times.

St. Paul's Letter to the Romans speaks of the conversion of the Jews in the end times. Romans 11:25-26:
"Lest you be wise in your own conceits, I want you to understand this mystery, brethren: a hardening has come upon part of Israel, until the full number of the Gentiles come in, and so all Israel will be saved."

Jesus Himself prophesied the conversion of the Jews prior to the Second Coming when He said (Matthew 23:37-39):
"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem.... Behold, your house is forsaken and desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"

Here's an interesting video with Catholic convert Roy Schoeman speaking about the topic:
FWIW, before anyone gets all uppity, this concept has the full weight of the Fathers behind it, Aquinas' commentary on Romans, etc.
Yep, for sure, it was even taught before Vatican II, I'll testify. The thing is with the Church in tribulations and persecutions, is it really important now. As Bl.Pope John Paul II said in his homily in 2000, that 1/3 of the Clergy including Bishops and Cardinals have lost the Faith, yet are out there teaching crap, shouldn't we focus on saving the folks they are dragging to hell with them ??

tim
(01-31-2014, 02:46 PM)jonbhorton Wrote: FWIW, before anyone gets all uppity, this concept has the full weight of the Fathers behind it, Aquinas' commentary on Romans, etc.

Yep and what Tim said. The book "The End of Our Present World and the Mysteries of Future Life" by Fr. Charles Arminjon is a good study and, if nothing else, shows you the mind of the Church int he 19th century concering these things, including the conversion of the Jews. He quotes the early Fathers at length.