Dialogue Mass: What's the point?
(02-15-2014, 08:56 AM)Tim Wrote: If by Tradition you mean prior to Vatican II, people's participation was chaotic even then. Lots of devout had Missals and flipped pages trying to stay with the Priest, and I was one. As a grade schooler I'd follow the priest and even softly imitate him chanting the Gospel.That's where I got my basic training for Latin. In the very front pews were older women say the age of Lisa and Vox in black dresses in mourning, many husbands, sons, and brothers had died overseas, all saying their rosaries. I'm told this aggravated the priests hearing the clicking of the beads and the droning of Hail Marys during Mass. The Irish were silent, and loved Low Mass because it was short.
In those days it was a rag tag group of real diversity. You had the working poor mixed in with the middle class and Doctors, Lawyers, and Pols sprinkled in for seasoning. Oh and I almost forgot the folks watching the confessional to get in there before communion. On weekdays confessions were heard on and off during all 8 masses.

tim

I think it is good to follow along and know the responses during Mass.  I became Catholic at a Novus Ordo parish so the first experience of the Mass I learned was Novus Ordo so I am used to the idea of responding to the priest.  I didn't think that the idea of chanting "et cum spiritu tho" or the other responses to the priest was not a traditional thing.  Praying the Rosary during Mass can be a beautiful devotion but I think there's a difference between doing it because you want to, and doing it because you've never been taught how the Mass works and you don't understand the words the priest is saying.  I am of the opinion that words matter and part of what attracted me to the Traditional Mass was how different the wording of the liturgy is compared to the Novus Ordo... you can hear so much more reverence and worship in the priest's tone.  While I think there is more to "full conscious and active participation" of the faithful than merely saying the responses I think understanding what the words mean and the structure of the Mass is something a layperson should be able to navigate.

From what I've read about pre vatican II liturgies, people were ignorant of the Chant for Mass.  Most only knew the Missa de Angelis and it seems like this is still common.  The parish I used to go to only used this Mass setting and never any of the other seasonal ones.  The music director at my parish is so sick of it he has banned it from the liturgy and only uses the other Gregorian settings.  I don't think the 70's hippie liturgies were what Vatican II intended but I think the idea that your average person should have a deeper participation in the liturgy is a good thing, especially given the increase in access to education.  Your average American high school student learns trigonometry, foreign languages and Shakespeare, you can at least expect an understanding of the Latin Mass out of most people.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Dialogue Mass: What's the point? - by Tim - 02-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Re: Dialogue Mass: What's the point? - by Tim - 02-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Re: Dialogue Mass: What's the point? - by Tim - 02-14-2014, 05:01 PM
Re: Dialogue Mass: What's the point? - by AxxeArp - 02-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Re: Dialogue Mass: What's the point? - by Tim - 02-14-2014, 08:41 PM
Re: Dialogue Mass: What's the point? - by Tim - 02-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Re: Dialogue Mass: What's the point? - by Chestertonian - 02-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Re: Dialogue Mass: What's the point? - by Tim - 02-15-2014, 11:33 AM
Re: Dialogue Mass: What's the point? - by Gidge - 02-15-2014, 10:19 PM
Re: Dialogue Mass: What's the point? - by Tim - 02-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Re: Dialogue Mass: What's the point? - by Tim - 02-16-2014, 08:46 PM